T-28B Loses an Engine On Takeoff (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geeze, you would not have thought so! Looked like just a belly landing in a rugged airplane with no fire. They must not have got the nose down until it came down by itself.

Mi: Rumble is that the inertia reel on the backseater's shoulder harness failed. It hit hard enough to fail the engine mount I believe, based on a couple of photos I've seen.

I read a horrific story of a T-28B that caught fire in flight. The pilot made a desperate attempt to land it on a runway and literally was subjected to blowtorch-like conditions. But I would not think an engine failure in an open rural area would be nearly as serious.

I also read of a T-28 that was on a night military training flight, a contractor instructor in the rear seat. All was quite pleasant until the student said, "Why do you want me to do that, sir?"

The instructor replied, "Do what? I did not say anything." The student replied, "I thought you told me to land, sir. You said, 'Land.'

The instructor thought about it and realized that he, too, had heard "Land" in the headphones. He looked over to their right and saw the beacon light of an airport. And if the student had not said, "Land".....

He said "I've got it!" and pointed the airplane at the airport. Just before the wheels touched the runway the engine went, "BAM!" and turned into a ball of fire. But they got down perfectly safe because ***Someone*** told them to land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back