T-45 Spin testing.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny

Attachments

• T45_Spin_Testing.wmv
    4.9 MB · Views: 77
Thanks Roy and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW-YEAR to all members.

Sunny

Attachments

• tree.gif
    tree.gif
    736.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 600-88-2.gif
    600-88-2.gif
    327.6 KB · Views: 125
What the hell have you guys done with our Hawk then?! :confused:

The Hawk has a really benign/repeatable spin (it was one of the main design criteria) and the guys at Valley must have done 100's of thousands of spins in the last 30 years or so!

I can't believe that the mods the USN made to the basic Hawk airframe should change the spin regime to the extent that the Pax River blokes need to resort to the anti-spin 'chute.

What was the 'problem' traced to, anyone?

(I thought that only we Brits had the patent to take a really good airframe and screw it up! eg F4 - add 25% more power and make it go slower)

The Hawk has a really benign/repeatable spin (it was one of the main desgin criteria) and the guys at Valley must have done 100's of thousands of spins in the last 30 years or so!

I can't believe that the mods the USN made to the basic Hawk airframe should change the spin regime to the extent that the Pax River blokes need to resort to the anti-spin 'chute.

(I thought that only we Brits had the patent to take a really good airframe and screw it up! eg F4 - add 25% more power and make it go slower)
You guys probably thought the same about politics....I have 2 things you dont have for total self destruction Hillary Clinton:D

I am definately getting the impression that some of you guys really don't like Hillary all that much........

Now you know how the majority in the UK feel about Gordon Brown!

Wow. I assume that a spin chute recovery is followed by a chute eject, non-chalant landing and a kiss to the wife?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a spin chute for the T-45.

The Hawk has a really benign/repeatable spin (it was one of the main design criteria) and the guys at Valley must have done 100's of thousands of spins in the last 30 years or so!

I think that was an intentional test - possibly flying the aircraft in an extreme situation (CG Full Aft?) to see how the aircraft would behave. Spin chutes are used all the time on aircraft at Edwards AFB.

ECN-22193.jpg

060315-F-2383G-013.JPG

Here's one on an early F-22

0301fighter1.jpg

and an article about a special F-18 that had one...

NASA - NASA Dryden Fact Sheet - F-18 High Angle-of-Attack (Alpha) Research Vehicle

I didn't know there was such a thing as a spin chute for the T-45.

No, there's not Matt - they are only fitted for extreme 'edge of envelope' test flying by the guys at Edwards and Pax River when you might find yourself on the wrong side of the the envelope line; and that's not usually good news.

As Flyboy shows in his photos, anti-spin 'chutes are temporary fits/structures that are added/removed as required as the test programme progresses.

There was a spin test of the single-seat Jaguar conducted in the UK that resulted in some spectacular footage of the aircraft rotating about its axis and tumbling end over end in clouds of part-burnt Avtur. It's just a lump of metal falling out the sky; the pilot elected for the Martin-Baker let-down and landing option.

The 2-seat Jag had been spin cleared at that point (with a lot of restrictions IIRC) but the spin charactaristics on the single seat varient were very different - to the extent that once the spin developed, it didn't come out. A spoof of the Pilots' notes said "While in a spin, stir the control column in all directions - it doesn't actually do anything, but it passes the time until 10,000ft is reached, and you can eject without having to leave the warm cockpit too early."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back