Ta-152/Fw-190

Is the Ta-152...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sorry i meant to say "yes, it was the same plane, but at the same time it wasn't because it carried a different designation", not "yes, it was a different plane, but at the same time it wasn't because it carried the same designation"

So just because something has a different name makes it totally different? If I changed my name tomorrow to Micheal DeLaney would that make me a different person? :rolleyes:

It wouldnt make me a different person...Different yes, different person, no...

In your poll the option is "completely different because of the designation..."

Both the P-51H and P-47M/N were redesigned down to the last stringer and brace but the basic design is still the same. With the P-47s new wings were added - essentialy the same mods as the Fw-190/Ta-152.

With the Fw-190 I feel there is more of a change going from radial to the inline engine than to a better wing/altitude configuration.

I have read in a couple of places it was to Honor/Recognize Kirt Tank.

wmaxt

You know the A-36/Mustang Allison version became the P-51/Mustang II with the Merlin because it flew like a whole new airplane.

If the 190 didn't change enough with the engine change for a new designation, it sure didn't when it changed a wing to become the Ta-152.

wmaxt

Well to be perfectly exact for you the Ta-152 was basically a Fw-190D with a larger wing span and slightly different powerplant. It used a Jumo 213E instead of a Jumo 213.

Kurt Tank chose the same workhorse Jumo 213 powerplant used in the Fw 190D. For the Ta 152H, he selected an uprated version, the Jumo 213E, equipped with a 2-stage, 3-speed mechanical supercharger and MW 50 engine boost. The MW 50 system used methanol-water mixture to boost engine output from 1,312 kw (1,750 hp) to 1,537 kw (2,050 hp) for short periods. Because of aluminum shortages, Focke-Wulf made the wing spars from steel and built the rear fuselage and empennage. The wing contained two steel spars. The front spar extended slightly beyond the landing gear attachment points but the rear spar spanned the entire wing. The wing twisted 3° from the root to the flap-aileron junction. This 'washout' prevented the ailerons from stalling before the center section. This allowed the pilot to maintain roll control during a stall. Armament consisted of one 30mm MK 108 cannon firing 90 rounds through the propeller hub and one 20mm MG 151 cannon firing 150-175 rounds from each wing root.

During the fall of 1944, Tank converted an existing Fw 190 prototype airframe (Werk-Nummer or serial number 0040) into the Ta 152H prototype. This aircraft and several other Ta 152 prototypes crashed early in the test program, due largely to intense pressure from the RLM to field production airplanes. Critical components suffered quality-control problems. Superchargers failed, pressurized cockpits leaked, the engine cooling system gave trouble, the landing gear failed to properly retract, and oil temperature gauges gave false readings. These problems, combined with Allied bombing attacks, which disrupted transportation and caused severe fuel shortages, slowed the whole program. Test pilots conducted just 31 hours of flight tests before full production started in November. By the end of January 1945 this figure had not climbed above 50 hours. This was not nearly enough time to refine subsystems and debug major components but production forged ahead.

Premature though it was, the Ta 152 had tremendous potential. Unlike the BV 155, a highly experimental, flying test-bed, Tank's design simply joined a powerful engine, already proven in the Fw 190D, to an existing airframe tweaked to perform at higher altitudes. The result was an airplane faster and more maneuverable than the P-51 Mustang and the P-47 Thunderbolt.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/focke_ta152.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back