Tail-wheel locking during landing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
The only WWII pilot manual I have of a non-tricycle undercarriage mentions mandatory to lock tail wheel before take-off but says nothing about landing.

I wonder if it was customary or not and why, to lock tail-wheel for landing.

Thanks for any help,
GB

ASAIK it would depend on the aircraft. Some tail wheel aircraft had configurations where the tail wheel and rudder moved simultaneously. Some aircraft had a locking cam where if the tail was "swung" with differential breaking, the tail wheel would "break loose" off a centering cam and enable to swing the aircraft around in a tight turn on the ground. Others would have a lock to be used during take off and landing so the tail doesn't "weathervane" in a crosswind.

Last edited:
Have a friend in California with a Christen Eagle, taught me some aerobatics. He had a hangar partner with one as well. He removed the tailwheel springs that kept the wheel centered as above. Promptly ground looped it landing!!!! He replaced the springs after the rebuild.

on several american types the tail wheel was locked or steerable when the control stick is in neutral or pulled back . the tail wheel is unlocked by moving the stick full forward.....................probabley not a good idea on final aproach.

Thanks to all for prompt answers.

...He removed the tailwheel springs that kept the wheel centered as above. Promptly ground looped it landing!!!! He replaced the springs after the rebuild.

Very clear!

GB

on several american types the tail wheel was locked or steerable when the control stick is in neutral or pulled back . the tail wheel is unlocked by moving the stick full forward.....................probabley not a good idea on final aproach.
I believe it only worked with weight on the tailwheel so it did not make a difference in flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back