Tall Ships and Boat Benefits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For my sons 21st Birthday instead of a traditional present we paid for him to cross the Atlantic on a tall ship as a member of the crew. One of the best decisions we ever made, he loved it.

Top marks went to a girl from Texas who had never seen the sea before going on the trip. The memories of going up the masts and out along the yardarm to haul the sails up by hand at night in a choppy sea will live with him for ever.

Glider, very cool, lifelong memories and something i've always wanted to do but i've never been that high without a parachute
JohnA. it's a terrible burden, sometimes i have to beat them off with a stick and what's worse they sometimes refuse to stay dressed

Last edited:
I'll take the little redhead in the middle of the last pic :twisted:, you can have the rest. I'm generous like that. :lol:

or the Canadian one that sunk off Brazil (news article from that day)

Rio De Janeiro - The SV Concordia, a Canadian based tall ship, has sunk off the coast of Brazil after a battle with very strong winds. All 64 passengers were rescued from life rafts Friday.
The Lunenburg, Nova Scotia-based tall ship sank approximately 555 kilometres (300 miles) off the coast of Rio de Janeiro Thursday night, reports Puggal.
The ship, owned by Class Afloat, West Island College International uses the ship as a floating classroom for senior high school and first-year university students and was currently on an educational voyage.
The SV Concordia was en route from Recife, Brazil, to Montevideo, Uruguay, as part of a 10-month voyage when it sent out a distress signal at 2:00 p.m. EST Thursday.
The Brazilian navy picked up the signal and sent out an alert to vessels in the area who were able to rescue all 64 passengers, including 43 students and 16 staff, reported Associated Press.
A spokesperson for the school in Lunenburg said this afternoon, "other than some minor discomfort from being in the rafts, everyone is fine."
He said, "The air temperature in the area was around 28 degrees Celsius," so it wasn't uncomfortable for the passengers. The status of the ship in still unknown but is believed to have sunk. He added, "We're just so relieved that everyone survived and is doing well. That was our priority, the kids."
The Captain of the ship has confirmed to the school that all passengers have been accounted for said a school press release.
Lawrence Cannon, Canada's Foreign Minister reportedly thanked "Brazilian authorities who led a search and rescue operation and acted swiftly to assist the ship and its passengers.''
The SV Concordia was built in 1992. It is a 57.5-metre ship with a 35-metre mast and 15 sails.

Read more: Students rescued after Canadian tall ship Concordia sinks (Includes interview)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back