Tamiya 1/32nd F4U1-D Corsair, VMF-351,

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mgunns

Recruit
May 3, 2022
I've always thought the Vought Corsair was one of the neatest looking airplanes from WWII. Over the years, (I'm 73) I have built many in as many scales, save for 1/32nd. My Friend in Canada was building one and he described the Tamiya 1/32nd kit as the best model he has ever built. I have to agree, well engineered, outstanding fitment, very little trimming of seam lines, very well detailed, a joy to build. A joy to build except for the decals. I chose these markings as I have always thought the markings of VMF-351 aboard the USS Cape Gloucester were very striking. Sadly, the decals are not that good. They are thick, almost impervious to decal setting solutions. (I used Solvaset) and really took the wind out of my sails on the completion of this build. The modeler has to be careful when assembling as there are options along the way for wings folded or extended, flaps up or down. I highly recommend this kit, but would also highly recommend an aftermarket decal or Montex masks.

Attachments

• DSC07079.JPG
    DSC07079.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC07219.JPG
    DSC07219.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC07220.JPG
    DSC07220.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC07221.JPG
    DSC07221.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC07222.JPG
    DSC07222.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC07223.JPG
    DSC07223.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC07224.JPG
    DSC07224.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC07225.JPG
    DSC07225.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 53
I've always thought the Vought Corsair was one of the neatest looking airplanes from WWII. Over the years, (I'm 73) I have built many in as many scales, save for 1/32nd. My Friend in Canada was building one and he described the Tamiya 1/32nd kit as the best model he has ever built. I have to agree, well engineered, outstanding fitment, very little trimming of seam lines, very well detailed, a joy to build. A joy to build except for the decals. I chose these markings as I have always thought the markings of VMF-351 aboard the USS Cape Gloucester were very striking. Sadly, the decals are not that good. They are thick, almost impervious to decal setting solutions. (I used Solvaset) and really took the wind out of my sails on the completion of this build. The modeler has to be careful when assembling as there are options along the way for wings folded or extended, flaps up or down. I highly recommend this kit, but would also highly recommend an aftermarket decal or Montex
Very nice indeed! Incidentally I just finished the Revell 1/32 F4U-1D which was a fun build but obviously not as involved as your kit. My hats off to you for dealing with hundreds of tiny little parts and not giving up in the process! :cool:

Very nice indeed! Incidentally I just finished the Revell 1/32 F4U-1D which was a fun build but obviously not as involved as your kit. My hats off to you for dealing with hundreds of tiny little parts and not giving up in the process! :cool:
That's the key, "Which was a fun build". If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing it. I want to get one of those Revell 1/32nd kits and work on weathering with it and fix up the engine a bit. You did a nice job on it.

Amazing build and I do love the detail especially when looking into the engine. Were they all kit parts of did you scratch build a bit. :D
Hi, thanks for looking and your kind comments. The engine is a highly detailed model in itself. I used copper wire to add the ignitions wires, the oil lines between the rocker boxes, lines between the magnetos and lines coming out of the gear reduction housing. I used copper tubing cut to size to represent the fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back