Tamiya 1/32nd scale Spitfire MkIX

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All of which begs the question, regarding how it stacks up to the PCM boxing(s).

I have yet to glue parts, and some of the directions are a bit confusing, but then again the PCM kit was mine for about USD 65, or right around half the price of the Tamiya effort. For the money I've saved, I can live with an unclear instruction or two.

Anyone actually built the PCM kit?

If so, I'd like to hear about how the build went.

Eighth

From what I've seen, I think the Tamiya kit has more than an edge over the PCM kit overall. But, it is a totally different approach, being angled very much more to the side of detailed engine etc.
Personally, I think I'd go as you have, and have two of the PCM kits, or the Hobbycraft kits when they are released.
I've read a couple of build reviews on the PCM MkIX, and apart from some slight gaps around the fuselage joints, it appears to be an OK build. In the photos I've seen, the prop and nose don't look quite right, BUT, it could well be camera angles and lens compression giving that impression. The main thing is, it looks like a Spit MkIX!!

They're both magazine articles. I can't remember which was the first one I saw, as it was at least a year ago, but the latest article is in Model Airplane International, September 2009, pages 33 to 41.
I think there might also be a review on Hyper Scale and/or Cyber Model web-sites.
I'm waiting to see if the Hobbycraft releases are re-boxings of the PCM kit, as I would like another MkIX to go alongside the one I converted from the Hasegawa MkVb. Once I know, and see reviews if the Hobbycraft is a new tooling, then I'll decide which way to jump - PCM or HC. I'm afraid I can't bring myself to spend £100 on a fighter-size kit!

It seems that the owner of PCM Ken Lawerence has another in the pipe after the Hurri

Waiting in the wings is another 1/32 surprise, a subject he thinks will please many modelers. Commercial considerations mean he won't identify the subject yet but when pressed whether it is Italian, British, German or American, allows:

"It is not Italian, but one from the other three countries is all I can say at this point. We think our next kit after the Hurricane will be a pleasant surprise for many modelers."

Pacifci Coast Models by Dave Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back