Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Vb (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Next phase has been completed. I will let this dry overnight before giving her a spray of Future.

Prop and canopy just set in place for photos.

Tail plane has now been attached.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

It looks very good ... let's leave it to dry and remain attentive monitoring.

Regards Jeff :thumbleft:

Progress continues. I have applied the decals and some went on okay and others...well I would rather not talk about it. Biggest disappointment was the utter destruction of the serial number decal. It literally came off the sheet in pieces that corresponded with the shape of the individual sections of the numbers and letters. I ended up having to use a totally wrong serial number to make it look complete. I know decals have to be thin to look good but man O man, talk about frustrating.

I will let the decals set overnight at a minimum before applying another coat of Future.

I still need to attach the canopy, build and attach the landing gear, touch up some small areas, attempt the radio and IFF wires and a couple of other bits and pieces like the pitot tube.

Anyhow, here is how she looked at the end of today.

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice work Jeff. Note that, although IFF wires would probably still be in use at this period, the radio was VHF, so no wire from mast to fin, and the triangular mount on the rear of the mast was removed, leaving the two mounting 'eyes'. The small fin mast would also most likely have been removed.

Nice work Jeff. Note that, although IFF wires would probably still be in use at this period, the radio was VHF, so no wire from mast to fin, and the triangular mount on the rear of the mast was removed, leaving the two mounting 'eyes'. The small fin mast would also most likely have been removed.

Thanks for the info. Not having to string the one wire saved a bit of time and some frustration.

I am quite proud of myself in how I did the IFF wires. Before assembly I drilled two extra holes in the fuselage where the IFF wires would enter same. The holes were discernible through the decal and I then threaded a thin sewing needle and very carefully poked it through the one side of the fuselage. A couple of probes and I found the hole on the other side and slowly pulled the needle through. Now, having lots of thread to play with I put a small dab of crazy clue on the elevator and then held the thread in place until it was set. Did the same thing to the other side and easy peasey lemon squeezy it was done except for trimming away the excess.

The kit was a lot of fun and went together real nice. My only gripe is with a couple of microscopic size pieces that drove me insane.

Other than the decal issues I really don't have anything bad to say.

Here is the finished product and many thanks to those who chipped in along the way with tidbits of advice or telling me when I had something totally wrong. I appreciate it all guys.

Cheers,

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back