Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire I (looks odd) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And here two more shots ...

Spitfire1602a.jpg

Spitfire1602b.jpg

the source: Wikiwand - Supermarine Spitfire operational history

Looking at this, that cutout on the model is not correct.

Attachments

• Spit gun.jpg
    Spit gun.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Spit wing.jpg
    Spit wing.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 28
I have seen a recess on guns like that but it wasnt on a Spitfire. Maybe it was done on a prototype at the start?

Looking at this, that cutout on the model is not correct.

C'est la vie. The kit is one of the older sets offered by the Tamiya. What was correct 20 or more years ago is not adequate these days. Such details are easy to correct so no trouble with that should be.

C'est la vie. The kit is one of the oldest sets offered by the Tamiya. What was correct 20 or more years ago is not adequate these days. Such details are easy to correct so no trouble with that should be.
Well I haven't bought the kit yet. I prefer the classic 8 gun flush look anyway, so I could look around for a different kit...

I'm very sorry but I have messed the model kits. Here are shots of the 1/72 wing parts of the Tamiya 60748. The slots for MGs can be noticed.

View attachment 695168
View attachment 695169
the source: Spitfire Mk. I im Maßstab 1:72 von Tamiya # 60748 | Modellbau für alle mit Spaß am Hobby

Ok, I dunno...still looks a bit odd. Even the gun that protrudes the most should 'float' inside the recess. I know everything is fixable...but I'd rather just do OOB with no fiddling around.

Judging by pictured of the assembled models I would say it looks quite good and can be made as the OOB. For a such building the accuracy of the model is fine.

Even looking at this photo of the classic flush guns, the gun ports look so much bigger than what I remember on models.

Attachments

• Spitfire1602a.jpg
    Spitfire1602a.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 28
I think you are right.

Anyway .. here a couple of enlarged shots of the wing leading edge of the early spitfire Mk.I of the no. 19 Squadron RAF. These can come in handy. Also it has to be mentioned that the outboard guns were moved further back into the wing on later Mk.I so that it was easier to apply fabric patches over the gun ports. Therefore the Tamiya kit is not the early Spitfire I but the late one ( also called Mk.Ia ) that got a couple of modifications including the moving back of the guns.

mk1.jpg

mk1_a.jpg

mk1_b.jpg

the source: the net.

Found this post from 'Selwyn' back in 2012
The main reason for the removal of the long flash suppressors was because the guns were freezing and failing to fire at high altitude during interceptions. Heat was already provided to the guns (hot air ducted from the radiator I believe) through internal wing ducts but with the barrels always open to the elements this was innefective.
The solution was to redesign the flash suppressors to ensure the gun muzzles did not project from the leading edge, and introduce the gun patches. These, by sealing the gun ports stopped the guns overcooling, and enabled the gun heating system to be effective. I beleve that initially patches were also placed over the case ejection ports on the underside of the wings as well.
Selwyn.

Another post indicated this happened in early 41. But that would mean all Battle of Britain Spitfires had protruding flash suppressors. Which I can't accept yet. More research to do.

This from JMChladek in 2012

I see that the birds from 1939 to at least the early fall of 1940 had protruding flash suppressors on the outer wing guns, at least before the red arming tape covers were added in early 1941.

Found this from Stona 2020.... which is more to my opinion. But if anyone can find any clear evidence of approx date of deletion that would be great...must.... have .....the truth....

The suppressors were deleted very early, I don't have the date to hand, but certainly before the BoB period.

As memo serves it had been discussed somewhere before. I agree with the post above. If we have a look at the BoB pictures with Spitfires it can be noticed that many of them had the modifications introduced already in 1940. But there were still those with the protruding barrels.

And one shot more dated 1940 in France ...

View attachment 695259
the source: RAF No 602 Squadron Spitfire photographs

and the next dated on March 1940. No protruding barrels there ...

View attachment 695262
the source: RAF No 602 Squadron Spitfire photographs
Like most upgrades I suppose it took a while to get around to all aircraft.. Actually I should find out what squadron the Tamiya kit decals cover. Then some BOB photos of that squadron should shed more light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back