Tanks in vs Japanese Theaters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think some are comparing the North Africa experience where the 2pdr was a liability vs German AT guns at 1000yd's ranges. In the Pacific the Matilda was used at point blank ranges vs japanese earthen/wood bunkers, also the 2pdr tanks carried well over 100 rounds unlike the early 3" HE tanks.

From the little available on Japanese tank actions I've read it seems most island garrisons had some, they were usually wasted in do-or-die charges against Allied Shermans or Stuarts. A typical example was at Biak Island northern New Guinea late 1944 where the IJA sent 9x type 95 tankettes to battle 12x Shermans on the landing beach..........optimistic and short lived.

The episode of World At War on the China Burma Theater has footage of M3 Lee/Grant tanks in British use in Burma. I assume once the M3 was classified as second standard, they were shipped from the Med to CBI.

Last edited:
Australian Army Matilda mkIVCs on patrol near Finschafen, 1944. Lead tank is a CS version

upload_2018-1-31_16-7-11.png

I opened The World at War Episode 14, and took a couple screen shots of the M3 and M5 in the CBI.

Attachments

• M3 CBI.JPG
    M3 CBI.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 150
  • CBI M5.JPG
    CBI M5.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back