Tarawa battle

Tarawa planes

• Japanese

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • American

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cpt. John

Airman
May 4, 2017
Hi guys, could you explain me what happend exactly at Tarawa?What planes did the Americans use ,what U.S. Air Force squadron were involved, What planes did the Japanese use?What happend?What were the tactics?

Why do you begin each question with a poll that would really tell you nothing no matter how it come out ?

The Battle of Tarawa saw very little aerial action, other than USN carrier aircraft bombing the island.
There was no such thing as the USAF in WW2, I suppose you mean the USAAF, but I don't think they were involved in the bombardment.

The Japanese did have at least one seaplane that survived the bombardment and was used to some effect. That I would like to hear more about also.

Suggest you go to the local library and checking out Samuel Elliot Morrison's book the Tarawa Campaign.

I found my basic notes on Tarawa air battles.

The Japanese airfield was on a coral island atoll Betio and took up 2/3 the length of the tiny island! (also called Hawkins Field by US).

Parts of the 22nd Air Flotilla and 755 Naval Air Group were stationed there with Zeros, Nells and Val's, later Bettys. A maximum of 36 planes by 19/9/43 when they were decimated by US carrier task force raids so they no longer based planes there.

By the time the US land invasion began in 20/11/43 there were no Japanese planes based on Tarawa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back