TBD Devastator (pre war colour)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I noticed that most if not all of the aircraft in these photos were from Air Group 6, Torpedo 6, Bombing 6 , Scouting 6 and Fighting 6, very cool real early shots !

"Enterprise Air Group" not "Air Group 6."

Air groups were not numbered until June 1942 with the creation of CVG-9 on the east coast at NAS Norfolk and CVG-10 on the west coast at NAS San Diego.

In the actions around the Solomons, until the arrival of Air Group 10 aboard Enterprise in October 1942, the air groups in action were the Saratoga Air Group, Enterprise Air Group, Wasp Air Group, and Hornet Air Group - or SAG, EAG, WAG, and HAG in the vernacular.

Air Group 6, as a designated organization, was not established until 15 March 1943.

Last edited:
600 602 603

1653133297681.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Agreed! They're all great photos but the color shots at the beginning
Just made my head spin the first time I researched the clors for the TBD. WHAT were they Thinking????
Just made my head spin the first time I researched the clors for the TBD. WHAT were they Thinking????
I've wondered about that too, but USAAC pre-war also had high visibility yellow color wings. I am making an educated guess that in the era of perhaps less reliable aircraft that it would aid in recovering downed aviators so high visibility made a lot of sense. Maybe someone with real knowledge could chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back