TBF/TBM Turret

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eighthaf

Airman
Apr 4, 2007
Looking for shots and/or diagrams. I just know it's on this site somewhere, but I couldn't find it in this subforum and I don't know where else to look.

Pardon my ignorance.

Eighth

Sorry guys for the late response, I got hung out an extra day with that midwest snowstorm. Had to stay a extra night in a hotel.

Here is one picture for starters. Will see if I can find some more.

Attachments

• turrent.JPG
    turrent.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 497
Here are a couple of more pictures

Attachments

• turrent1.JPG
    turrent1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 466
  • turrent2.JPG
    turrent2.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 489
I was wondering if you got caught up in the storm, Micdrow. My sister is in Waukesha and she said it was quite a storm.

I figured if anyone had the info, you'd be the one.

Yeah it was a good one. Thats for sure. I had to snow blow the drive way before I could get in. Had at least a 3 to 4 foot drift blocking it.

We made it home safe and sound and for that Im happy. Lot of cars in the ditches when we came home thats for sure.

I am involved with the restoration of a TBF-1, sn 01747 at the DeLand NAS Museum. We are curious as to the purpose of the upper and lower oval frames on the starboard side glass of the turret. They do not appear to be intended to open.
Any insight ,please?

Thanks for the reply.
Gun access makes sense, but there is no easy method of removal. as there is an inner and outer circle of holes through both inside and outside metal rings. There are 11 holes on the inner row (these have attached flanged nuts riveted to the inside metal ring), and more , maybe 18 holes on the outer row. These have to be attached with screws and loose nuts. Unless there is something amiss with our setup, that would mean that a whole bunch of screws need to be removed to gain access. If the ports were used for loading of ammo and removal of casings, this setup doesn't lend itself to the rapid-turnaround required in wartime.

We're a bit puzzled.

Update: I've seen in photos that there should apparently be only the inside 11 holes. That would make sense . If the inside metal ring was held in bu screws through the plexi into the inside ring, then the panel could be removed bu removing the inside circle of 11 screws. This would remove the panel and outer ring, and leave the inside ring attached to the turret.

Maybe all has been revealed!?

Last edited:
I recall a scene in a movie where a ditched/crashed Avenger pilot walks over the wing to the turret and does something which makes the circular panel on the port side of the turret fall away. Then the pilot helps the wounded gunner out.
What did the pilot do to open the turret?

Pulled the 'D' ring which released the retaining pins, allowing the escape hatch panel, on the port side of the turret, to fall free, although normally prevented from total loss by a length of cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back