TBM-3 AVENGER STRIKE CAMERA (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Anyone have a better photo or drawing of this camera?

1856_420_210-ww2-fighter-plane1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Geo

Humm interesting, not the exact same camera but I did take these this year at Airventure. Note this camera is rear facing. I will see if I can dig some more up today.

Attachments

• DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 256
Humm interesting, not the exact same camera but I did take these this year at Airventure. Note this camera is rear facing. I will see if I can dig some more up today.

Hmmmm.....found this large profile, the same as the photo, better showing the camera. Looks different, more like a hand held Nikon or Canon.

Untitled1.jpg

Double hmmmm.

Geo

There were several different types used.

There was the USN Aircraft, Torpedo, K-20 (which looks like a hand-held camera) and the Vought, Aircraft, Torpedo, Type 1 (like the image you posted earlier) and others.

Looking at the illustration, it looks like that aircraft has the K-20 mounted.

In the USA at that time, it most certainly would not have been a Japanese camera! ... unless the photos are of a TMF in modern times with a camera on it. I doubt that since modern, privately-owned TBF's aren't going to be dropping torpedoes.

Question marks? Really?

The TBF / TBM was a WWII bird. Nikon is a Japanese company. We would NOT have been using a Nikon in WWII, certainly. Cannon is a Japanese multinational corpporation and, again, we would not have been using Cannons in WWII either.

Might be using a Polaroid or a Brownie, Bell Howell, Cinneflex, Keystone, Kodak, a Vinten, or maybe even a German Zeiss obtained through Switzerland. We had a LARGE stock of Zeiss cameras in the USA before the war started, especially the Press.

But I doubt we'd have been using a Japanese camera. Today, all my cameras are Japanese and all are digital except my father's old 35 mm SLR film cameras that I never use anymore.

Heck, I'm not even sure where I'd have the film developed anymore. Might have to do it myself, and that isn't gonna' happen while I have a digital camera avaiable. Plus I don't have the chemicals anymore, either.

I said it was shaped like a hand held camera. As I own Nikons and a Canon, theses were the examples I used not the assumption that the camera on the aircraft was Japanese. Had I owned a Leica and a Hasselblad, I would have used these as examples.

Last edited:
Hi Fubar,

Wasn't fussing at you. Just observed the two examples you used were Japanese ... and thought that was strange during a WWII timeframe.

Hasselblad was certainly an option.
Not many American cameras during the late 30's and early 40's looked like a modern Japanese camera, so I got Geo's comparison. And that forward-facing K-20 camera in the illustration sure looks like a modern japanese SLR! :lol:

And not sure if the government would have used a Swiss Hasselblad back in those days, either!

No problem Greg, back to the cameras. Was the K-20 camera Dave mentioned a still camera or movie camera? Though it looks similar, would a still camera be used as a rocket strike camera?

LtGilbertMilneRCNVR2June1944.jpg
m197400920009.jpg

"LtGilbertMilneRCNVR2June1944" by Lt Richard G. Arless. Canada. Department of National Defence. Library and Archives Canada, PA-163920 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lac-bac/4679193324/. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...#/media/File:LtGilbertMilneRCNVR2June1944.jpg

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back