That Traitor!!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soundbreaker Welch?

Tech Sergeant
Feb 8, 2006
Colorado, USA
Whats your opinion on what happened to William Joyce? (aka-Lord Haw Haw.)

Was his fate well deserved or was it going too far?

Traitors often get the death penalty.

Mildred Gillars (Axis Sally) and Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose) got off easier coming from America. Well, I guess the days of Benedict Arnold were over for us already.

On Wikipedia you can read about these three Axis Propragandists.
William Joyce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tokyo Rose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mildred Gillars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you will find that according to international law, William Joyce wasn't a traitor as he was brought up in Eire not the UK and Eire was neutral. He was also a Natoinalised German Citizen giving up his right as an American Citizen where he was born.

Joyce was tried and convicted under English law, not international law. He held a British passport, which entitled him to British protection, but also meant he owed allegiance to Britain. He still held that passport while working for Germany after the war had started.

Was his fate well deserved or was it going too far?

Well deserved. He was a committed fascist, with a history of organising violent attacks on Jews in Britain in the 30s, who voluntarily travelled to Germany on the eve of war to work for the Nazis.

Mildred Gillars (Axis Sally) and Iva Toguri D'Aquino (Tokyo Rose) got off easier coming from America. Well, I guess the days of Benedict Arnold were over for us already.

Gillars got off quite lightly, although I suspect that a man in the same situation would not. D'Aquino, from what I remember, worked under compulsion from the Japanese, and should never have been convicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back