The airplane that did the most to turn the tide of the war. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes I don't think there's a specific right answer to the thread title. When I started the thread I thought it would be an interesting point of discussion aside from the usual" which plane is best" at fill in the blank here.
As you suggested while there is no one right pick here there are, imho, plenty of wrong ones. Some for obvious reason that they were unsuccessful designs but also many great designs that simply came to late to contribute to any turning of the tide as it had already been turned in a given theater months or years earlier.
I think the F6F and the P51 are two good examples of great designs that made huge contributions that nonetheless came to late to do any tide turning as it had been turned about a year before there existence in any numbers in there respective main theaters of oparation.

Very good points I think, particularly about Stalingrad.

So back again to the oilfields of Rumania, and the B24 pops up again as it has so many times in this thread.
Cheers,
Wes

Except the earlier raids on Ploesti etc. were not as effective as thought and suffered so many losses (due to tactics chosen / required, and also the aircraft used). So it's hard to argue they were decisive as a turning point, the effect of the Ploesti raids (both by US and Soviet bombers) was more attritional and I think the effect was felt more later in the war.

Also I know I will get a lot of argument / hate for saying this but I do believe Mosquitoes would have been better for that mission. They didn't have enough in the area or in place so it's a moot point. But I believe they would have been far more effective.

Last edited:

Also pretty pointless for a level bomber like a B-26 Marauder to carry AP bombs since they almost never managed to hit ships with any kind of bombs other than skip bombs, and I don't think B-26's specifically sank or hit a lot of ships regardless. B-25s and A-20's seem to have done better in that role.

There were hundreds of B-17 and later B-24 raids against Japanese shipping and almost no hits. Kenney gave up on level bombing early on for his mediums and switched to the strafing + skip bombing tactic right away.

maybe a very small number of Yak 9's
As far as I know, this number was zero.

The Soviet Union may have collapsed if the Germans had captured and held onto the Caucasus oil fields and/or they could block Soviet supplies up the Volga.
I agree with this assumption.
Just one small correction: Azerbaijan oil fields (Baku area) were the most important with about 75% of total USSR output in 1940. Krasnodar and Grozny (the latter located in Northern Caucasus indeed) - another 15%.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but what about the twin-engine trainers?

What was the US equivalent of the Anson?

If you asked me what the best all-round warplane was for WWII, I'd probably say the Mosquito. It certainly caused plenty of German attrition, but maybe not enough to be decisive. However, it does deserve massive props as the ultimate Nazi-trolling aircraft and aircrews with the biggest balls. Highlights include strafing/bombing several downtown Gestapo HQ's and interrupting one of Goehring's speeches.

There's only 1 aircraft I can think of with a similar combination of speed and versatility, although not quite as good, namely the Petlyakov Pe 2. There were lots of them and I think they did actually bomb the Ploiesti oil fields with some success, but not consistently.

Last edited:
I am going to throw my hat into the ring with the B-25 Mitchell ... used by all Allies on every front (the Russians had 3 or 4 by December '41) ... the AC was highly modifiable as bomber and gun ship ... and in the Pacific it was the Warthog of its era. While it never served as a night fighter as the Boston, Mosquito and Beaufighter did, the 8 nose-mounted 50s scored a number of kills on Japanese AC in air combat.
B-25s had their down-side ... with the heavy gun load they lacked the power to fly long on one engine ... and operating at the 25' to 200' level that they did in the Pacific an engine loss to AA fire was almost always fatal.
But a very reliable, all metal, flexible war weapon the B-25 was, IMO.

Last edited:

I wasn't aware that the B-25 had trouble running on one engine, that is a big 'ding' against it. Do you know if that was just with the heavier gunship variants or all variants?

B-25 was important for the Med, and of course the Pacific, and to some extent CBI. For the Soviets it was mostly relegated to night bombing as they found it too vulnerable to AAA. And of course it didn't see that much use in NW Europe.

For trainers the US (being the profligate wastrels that we are) also use the Curtiss AT-9

and the Fairchild AT-13, 14 , 21 series

Now please note that some of these were pilot trainers and some were crew trainers, a distinction not made with the Anson.

The AT-9 was purposely designed to be difficult to fly and and was about the only US aircraft that was not sold surplus to civilians although some were sold/given to mechanics/ground schools

I don't think it was just gunships that were vulnerable ... it was the low altitude that they operated at, not just as straffers but as skip bombers.

Last edited:
See also Beechcraft 18 aka C-45

View attachment 533971

And I think the Lockheed Hudson etc. as well
Have an interesting( at least to me) personal story about the Beach 18. When I was a kid my friends dad, Pat Milstead, was Mohahmed Alis private pilot.
Mr Ali owned a small collection of Beach 18s( at least 3 that I know of) and on several ocassions I got a chance to ride on them. Always from Long Beach to Roubeydux( ya probably misspelled).
Anyway I never did get to meat Mr Ali but it was really something to get to ride on his planes when I was about 12 years old.

In all actuality, there's no one aircraft that can assume this title. It's a combination of the various aspects they all brought to the table, coupled with operational doctrine and proper application. Where one airframe did particularly well at some missions, it may not be suited for other, equally important tasks.

With a nod to our British contributors, I beleieve that what was going on just under the surface in WW II woud have not allowed the use of a Lancaster instead of a B - 29. Whether anyone wants to admit it, what was engineered by FDR. was to strip Britian as a superpower. That is why when FDR. offered the lend/ lease destroyers, what he got in return was the promise to divest itself of all areas of the British Empire. Why do you think we could not continue using the Merlin unless we paid for it? Also, the US military, in the 1930's, had a battle plan to fight Great Britian. So, we were not all chummy as history has made out. As with all great countries and civilizations throughout history - they all operate out of self interest. Also, we had the B - 32 Dominator as a backup to the 29.

I'm not so sure about this as in 1942/3 serious consideration was given to the UK building their own version of the B29. A team was sent to the USA to gauge how practical the idea was but it was decided not to proceed as the resources needed would have been too detrimental to other projects.
I will dig around and find more details

It's a trick question; the answer is "none of the above." What turned the tide in the Battle of Britain was not just the airplanes, but the men willing to fly them, in spite of the odds being against them. We also need to give credit to the detection and communication network the British put in place, along with the courage of the men and women operating that equipment, even while under attack.
Combined with that was the British spy network, which had turned all of the German spies in Britain into double agents. They kept feeding the German high command false information about the rate of British fighter production, making them believe the battle was almost won, when in fact the LW was slipping behind, bit by bit. (Read Double Cross by Ben MacIntyre for the full story.)
The Battle of the Atlantic was turned by Polish and Alan Turing's code breakers, who told the British Navy where to go looking for U-boats.
In the early days, we'd have been nowhere in the Pacific if the American code breakers hadn't hacked the Japanese Purple code - but that would have been for nothing without the fortitude of our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines at Midway, Guadacanal, Coral Sea, etc.
But none of that would have worked if it weren't for British and American industry and civilians cranking out ships, airplanes, tanks, trucks, etc. faster than our enemies could knock them down. If I had to name a single factor that turned the tide, that would be it.

Why not go with the one the Axis said? P-51? Goering said when he saw them over Berlin he knew the war was lost.
The case against Spitfire and Hurricane- stopped Germans, but did not turn the tide of war. 1942-43 were a mess for the allied bombing effort. Germany was intact economically and militarily. More important than the role of both was the damn poor judgment of Nazi leadership, as it is difficult for anyone who has looked at the BoB to say the RAF could have held out if the Germans had continued striking airfields instead of London.
The case against SBD (a personal favorite) did not serve in Europe, and the Japanese navy was hurt not broken. The Japanese did replace the losses at Midway and SBD, like all US naval aircraft were tactical, not strategic. The fact the Japanese had 2-3000 aircraft stowed away at the end of the war awaiting the US invasion shows that Japan still had lots of fight left.
The war was two fronts, and realistically I don't think one plane affected both fronts, but the P-51 allowed allied air power to win in Europe which then made the defeat of Japan possible.

Users who are viewing this thread