The British Empire peaked 100 years ago this month

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its amazing that some historian manages to mention Brexit among all the other hobby horses he had a trot around on.
I ignored the Brexit plug. I'm in Canada, but all of my UK relatives voted to exit. They're in finance and trade and knew it was going to be an economic challenge.

I ignored the Brexit plug. I'm in Canada, but all of my UK relatives voted to exit. They're in finance and trade and knew it was going to be an economic challenge.
The rest of it is equally revisionist nonsense, the British empire was quite clearly not at its height in 1923 unless you completely ignore WW1 and its effects and the Boer War and its effects, basically you have to ignore all historical facts.

The rest of it is equally revisionist nonsense, the British empire was quite clearly not at its height in 1923 unless you completely ignore WW1 and its effects and the Boer War and its effects, basically you have to ignore all historical facts.
More like 12-10-1941

The loss of the two battleships and the following loss of their territories in the Far East blew a hole in their credibility in that region that they never recovered from.

March 9 2015
Almost 100 years after the debt was was issued, the U.K. government has finally finished paying for World War I.

On Monday the U.K. Treasury redeemed the outstanding £1.9 billion ($2.8 billion) of debt from the "War Loan", which was originally taken out in 1917 in order to finance the country' huge debts incurred in fighting the four-year war

Originally issued with a coupon of 5 percent, the bond was converted into a lower coupon issue of 3.5 percent in 1932, after the UK's debt mountain became unsustainably high. The Debt Management Office estimates that Britain has paid some £5.5 billion in total interest on the 5 percent and 3.5 percent war loans since 1917.

"In 1914, the national debt was £650 million, but by the end of the war it was around £7 billion and it was financed by bond issuance," said head of retail fixed income at M&G Investments, Jim Leaviss. UK finally finishes paying for World War I

Palestine was an area slightly smaller than Scotland and full of trouble. How does taking control of it make the Empire stronger It became bigger and weaker. Some became rich in the empire, its economics were mainly a con.

Britain and France took possession of Middle Eastern territories after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

That area was always a potential hotbed of trouble. The Ottomans and local Sultans had traditional ways of handling the people, which the French and British lacked.

Britain and France took possession of Middle Eastern territories after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

That area was always a potential hotbed of trouble. The Ottomans and local Sultans had traditional ways of handling the people, which the French and British lacked.
A certain British Army Officer*, in the early 1920s, said (in regards to the various war-end treaties and international agreements)
After the "War to end War" they seem to have been pretty successful in Paris at making a "Peace to end Peace".

* Archibald Wavell (later Field Marshall Earl Wavell), who had served under Allenby in the Palestine campaign.
I'm sure he was thinking of the Middle East in particular (but also Europe) when he made that statement.

Meddling in the ME was one of the worst mistakes the UK ever made.
Ditto for the US, etc.

See: A Peace to end all Peace by Peter Fromkin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back