"The case for the P-47 Thunderbolt being the greatest fighter of the Second World War " (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Air Spotting Pool was based out of Lee on Solent for D-Day comprising Squadrons of No 3 Naval Fighter Wing, the RAF and the USN. These were

808 Seafire L.III and Spitfire LF.Vb
885 Seafire L.IIc and F/L.III
886 Seafire L.III
897 Spitfire L.Vb

RAF squadrons
26 & 63 with Spitfire V

USN squadron VOS-7 with Spitfire V

For D-Day itself they were joined by 3 RAF tactical recce squadrons
II(AC), 268 and the Canadian 414 flying the Mustang I/IA/II

By mid-afternoon the last 3 units reverted back to their normal TacR duties.

As for airfields one little known programme ahead of D-Day was the construction of 24 Advanced Landing Grounds by the RAF Airfield Construction Service in southern England from which 2nd TAF squadrons operated. Permanent facilities were kept to a minimum with runways of Sommerfield Track, Square Meshed Track or PSP. That provided good practice for what was to come.

On arrival on the continent Airfield construction began immediately, but not all strips were the same, often starting as one thing and then being developed further as time went on. So in order:-

Emergency Landing Strip - for pilots in distress rather than flying back across the Channel. Sometimes referred to as a "crash strip". Very basic strip at least 600 yards long. ELS-1 opened in the American sector on 7 June with B-1 in the British sector the same day.

Also on 7 June US Engineers unable to reach the site they were intended to develop, levelled a strip for casualty evacuation by C-47.

Refuelling & Rearming Strip - longer at 1,200 yards with marshalling areas at each end. Aircraft were not intended to stay overnight but return to their home bases in England. Helped increase the sortie rate over the beachhead. The first of these was B-3 which opened on 15 June followed by B-2 and A-3 in the US sector the next day and A-1 (originally intended as an ELS but capture was delayed) and A-2 on the 17th.

Advanced Landing Ground - as above but with dispersal facilities to allow units to base there on a rotating basis. ALG A-6 opened on the 17th June and B-4 and A-4 on the 18th.

Airfield - as above but units based permanently.

All-weather Airfield - as above but with hard surfaced runways for operations in all seasons and weathers.

By the end of June, 10 airfields (ELS, R&RS or ALG) had opened in the US sector and 11 in the British sector. But airfield construction slowed in July as the rate at which the beachhead expanded slowed, particularly on the eastern side. So in July 10 more opened in the US sector but only 3 in the British sector. In Aug, 20 opened in the US sector and 9 in the British sector. In the first 4 days of Sept 6 British, 3 US and one joint were added to the total.

I'm rather fond of the Kingfisher.

My father had a yacht named Halcyon. After the bird, though, not the plane. It was a good boat. And beautiful and fascinating bird. I don't have an opinion on the aircraft though, but just based on the name it must be good.

(Yes this is off topic, but hey, this trainwreck of a thread is already scraping the bottom of the barrel, so..)

I'm rather fond of the Kingfisher.

Which one?

1682699266203.jpeg

1682699244900.jpeg

1682699290379.jpeg

Being a retired railroader, I love train wrecks.
You is weird. But seen one very recently in my village.
Must say i felt quite sad.
A plane wreck yes i understand, 10.000 ft up, but a train...?? No.
Strange no? Few carts left the track into a field because of crashing into a maintenance vehicle.
Could have been so very very much worse only one dead. Poor fellow.
I am walking my dogs along the line. I was early as they still were busy getting sorted. They even had not closed the route wich is my daily walk.
No.. trains must not crash. Something very wrong about that.

I do not think you ment it as such.

But as said, i walked by when there was still busy getting shit done. It did made a permanente impression.

"War Weary" or not, those Spitfires had to be a blast compared to flying the OS2U.
AFAK a plane being war weary was not a problem for the pilot, they still worked almost as good as new in the air, the problems were for the ground crew keeping them in the air, worn threads and fastennrs and ever increasing servicing tasks etc.

Getting back to the original topic, the P-47. It was a real gas guzzler. As proof of that I present this list of (fake) Lego iconic WWII aircraft: Aircraft WW2 - WW2 Historical Collection - Cobi toys: internet shop

The Thunderbolt is the only kit delivered with a tank trailer, fer crying out loud! P-47 Thunderbolt & Tank Trailer - Executive Edition
Interesting picture there, with the flap in the WAY up position ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back