the cordless rotary tool, which bl**dy one?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
When I was in the States, before someone nicked my entire kit, I had a little red Dremel Mini Mite tool. I am trying to find something comparable and am having a devil of a time. It has to have a 220 charger tho to use here in Oz. And be under a hundred bl**dy bucks! It could even be one of them dog toenail grinders for all I care.

Which one do you use? Post a picture, and tell me where I can get one please.

This one I picked up for £20 at Halfords, although this particular tool kit is normally around £30. Like most of its kind, it's uses are limited for most plastic modelling jobs, as the lowest speed is 8,000 rpm, with highest at 18,000 rpm.
The Rotorcraft range are available through most major model shops/outlets, and Model Hobbies in the UK can do it on-line and ship world wide if you have problems finding one.
With a lower speed, I would probably use it more, but even for drilling, in plastic, any power tool can sometimes be 'overkill'. Good for other modelling jobs though, especially with non-plastic materials.
Oops! Just noticed - you wanted a cord less - this one isn't !

Attachments

• Can Jan 541.jpg
    Can Jan 541.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
I use the standard Dremel cordless 10.8V lithium ion battry pack but it's US so 110V charger, on Amazon and Ebay

Attachments

• 514xAvNez5L__AA160_.jpg
    514xAvNez5L__AA160_.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 129
Pin vise (as Airframes informed me). I would call it a jewelers drill. Holds even the smallest bits and allows for a slow hand applied torque. When working with plastic models, slow is not 10s of minutes, but only a few worst case. Thousands of RPMs on plastic with virtually any metal tool does not cut/sand/polish. Rather it melts.

I'm not sure of the rpm at the low setting but it is not very fast. Perhaps 100rpm or so. The fine sanding drum works very well for shaping or some of the small router bits. The pin-vise is great for small fine work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back