the cordless rotary tool, which bl**dy one?

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by N4521U, Jun 30, 2012.

1. N4521U

N4521U Well-Known Member

reduced to all around slobbing
    When I was in the States, before someone nicked my entire kit, I had a little red Dremel Mini Mite tool. I am trying to find something comparable and am having a devil of a time. It has to have a 220 charger tho to use here in Oz. And be under a hundred bl**dy bucks! It could even be one of them dog toenail grinders for all I care.

Which one do you use? Post a picture, and tell me where I can get one please.

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    This one I picked up for £20 at Halfords, although this particular tool kit is normally around £30. Like most of its kind, it's uses are limited for most plastic modelling jobs, as the lowest speed is 8,000 rpm, with highest at 18,000 rpm.
    The Rotorcraft range are available through most major model shops/outlets, and Model Hobbies in the UK can do it on-line and ship world wide if you have problems finding one.
    With a lower speed, I would probably use it more, but even for drilling, in plastic, any power tool can sometimes be 'overkill'. Good for other modelling jobs though, especially with non-plastic materials.
    Oops! Just noticed - you wanted a cord less - this one isn't !

Attached Files:

3. mikewint

mikewint Well-Known Member

Retired and living on the dole
    I use the standard Dremel cordless 10.8V lithium ion battry pack but it's US so 110V charger, on Amazon and Ebay

Attached Files:

4. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    Mine is like Mike's, but it's not cordless - which in hindsight I wish I had gotten instead.

5. mikewint

Ya just gots to remember to charge the thing BEFORE you expect to do any long term projects

6. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Pin vise (as Airframes informed me). I would call it a jewelers drill. Holds even the smallest bits and allows for a slow hand applied torque. When working with plastic models, slow is not 10s of minutes, but only a few worst case. Thousands of RPMs on plastic with virtually any metal tool does not cut/sand/polish. Rather it melts.

7. mikewint

I'm not sure of the rpm at the low setting but it is not very fast. Perhaps 100rpm or so. The fine sanding drum works very well for shaping or some of the small router bits. The pin-vise is great for small fine work