The Fantastic Place I live.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
This forum has numerous members from all over the world. Some are able to visit each other and take trips to a new country. Of that I'm envious. But I was thinking if I had a forum member visit me, where would I take him (or her) that would leave a fantastic impression? Someplace unique and unusual, maybe off the beaten path, someplace that would leave a great memory of where they had been.

So I thought that members could post a place here that would intrest the Warbirds Forum traveller. Someplace within, say, 25 miles of where you live that would knock someone's socks off.

I want to start with a place here in South Jersey. I didn't want to do Philly as I'm sure thats a well known place. And I didn't want to do Atlantic City cause if they gambled all their airfare away I'd have a new houseguest! :lol:

So its the Pine Barrens!

It may not seem like much, but this place has some of the greatest places to visit, cool things to do and awesome stories about it. I have been here millions of times doing everything from 4x4 wheelin' in a Land Rover I had (boy, I miss that!) to canoeing, camping overnight, crazy Jersey Devil parties and .....drinking parties that would be illegal in 200 countries!

For a description of the Pines there is this...
Pine Barrens (New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Of the stories there is the Famous New Jersey Devil (hence the name of the hockey team) and ghost stories abound.
Weird NJ Stories, The Jersey Devil

The place is beautiful during the day and downright creepy at night. I have been lost several times - and I mean lost (thank god for CBs) and have driven down straight sandy strtches of road for hours on end at 2 in the morning.

This is the place where the bullets were forged for the Revolution, where Mexican Aviator Emilio Carranza crashed and died in 1928 while returning the favor of Charles Lindbergh's famed non-stop flight the year before.

The place is amazing!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 949
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 272
cool NJ

well it's almost obvious ~ one of the wonders of the worlds wonders...........Crater lake national Park ..... in winter or our gorgeous coastline, or into the depths of the Sphere !! 8)

aside from the obvious for me if they have the time and the people are able I like to take them down into what we call the Niagara Glen or Gorge where you can "stick your feet in the water" close to the arguably the most powerful river in the world . the water is about a 150ft/50m deep and moving at 30mph or 45kph. Supposed to be the longest stretch of CAT 6 whitewater .Most people who visit never go down into the gorge. . So I'll include the gorge and other things along the river other then the falls.

Attachments

• glen.jpg
    glen.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0349_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0349_1_1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 287
PB is being Modest... he showed me a ton of great stuff in Niagra..

Thanks again Neil!

I'm in Manhattan right now... I had some video shoots. My schedule is hectic and I'm going to see some cousins otherwise I'd like to see more!

Right now I'm gonna have a beer and look for some trouble!!

So R2800, you're a Piney like me! There used to be a local singer by the name of Clayton West who wrote a song about the pines. The refrain went like:

"I'm just a South Jersey Piney!
From my South Jersey neck down to my South Jersey heiney.
Where the deer eat the corn
and the skeeters suck your blood,
and that swamp grass keeps you singin'
all night long!"

Great stuff guys! Thats what I trying to get at Pb. Someplace different. Everybody knows Niagra but that gorge I never heard about. I'm assumin' the rainbows from the spray?

So R2800, you're a Piney like me! There used to be a local singer by the name of Clayton West who wrote a song about the pines. The refrain went like:

"I'm just a South Jersey Piney!
From my South Jersey neck down to my South Jersey heiney.
Where the deer eat the corn
and the skeeters suck your blood,
and that swamp grass keeps you singin'
all night long!"

Great stuff guys! Thats what I trying to get at Pb. Someplace different. Everybody knows Niagra but that gorge I never heard about. I'm assumin' the rainbows from the spray?

Dumb question: Is that where the movie "The Patriot" supposedly took place? Or was it further south? That looks like the area where Mel Gibson's character hid out and attacked the Redcoats.

"The Patriot" I believe was in North or South Carolina. You wouldn't believe we have places like that here. 20 minutes from Atlantic City and 40 minutes from Philadelphia.

Well I doubt that any of you will visit my country but just to be on the safe side I'll pick a place of interest in Bucharest and one outside in case you don't like cities.Well the first place will be the palace of parliament which is the world's second largest administrative building, after The Pentagon.
Palace of the Parliament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And now to pick a spot outside the city...well after thinking I picked a nice spot not really outside the city but it will give the impression that you are not in a city and perhaps not in 2008 anymore...I give you the Village Museum...a really great place.

Attachments

• Palace_of_Parliament.jpg
    Palace_of_Parliament.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 321
  • muzeul_satului54.jpg
    muzeul_satului54.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 256
  • muzeul_satului30.jpg
    muzeul_satului30.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 254
  • muzeul_satului34.jpg
    muzeul_satului34.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 261
  • muzeul_satului05.jpg
    muzeul_satului05.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 254
The Pine Barrens! Caught a load there many a time. Word to the wise, do not leave the canoe under any circumstances. Those quiet little streams are about 10ft deep in muck. Dark, sucking mud. Brutal stuff, especially half in the bag. Probably qualifies as quick sand.

It is way more crowded there than it used to be but back in the day, it would give West Virginia a run for it's money in terms of odd, slightly inbred families (called Pinnies) living in it. Every corner had a wierd little bar on it (now they are Wawa Convenience stores).

Great (if somewhat brooding) place.

I'll still stick with "my" Crater lake, Njaco and all come on over here right now if you want to see some outrageous country dressed in white lace, you cannote even get up to C.L. right now the road is an ice sheet but in time it will be plowed up. go do a search on google and you'll see what she looks like this time of year, I posted some pics of her awhile back in some thread......

thumbs up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back