The Few

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dimlee

Tech Sergeant
Feb 18, 2018
One of the few.
Few, indeed. Defenders to aggressors 1:10.
Kyiv, Ukraine.

photo_2022-02-25_20-36-20.jpg

The fog of war and a lot of wishful thinking, but I'd like to think this is accurate.

I was just thinking about that. I seems that he have a nick name "The Ghost of Kyiv".

With all the misinformation flying around, the fog of war and the possible breaks in communications from those on the front line to the those up un the chain command is hard to tell.

I don't think there is only one ukrainian pilot fighting the russian planes, more likely a small bunch fighting like some air guerrilla. But doubtlessly is a morale booster.

I have seen footage of what is like a russian sapper column destroyed and a supposedly russian APC out of gas in a highway and reports of other logistical problems and low morale amongst russian troops.

It seems like the russians were overconfident or the ukrainians planned an inteligent defense or a mix of both.

I don't think there is only one ukrainian pilot fighting the russian planes, more likely a small bunch fighting like some air guerrilla. But doubtlessly is a morale booster.
I'm surprised the Russians haven't used air strikes, TLAMs or even special forces to disable the Ukrainian air forces and runways on day one. Perhaps the Ukrainians have dispersed their combat aircraft like the Swedes, using roads as runways.

I do hope the West has shut down Russia's access to their network of GPS satellites.

I'm surprised the Russians haven't used air strikes, TLAMs or even special forces to disable the Ukrainian air forces and runways on day one. Perhaps the Ukrainians have dispersed their combat aircraft like the Swedes, using roads as runways.

I do hope the West has shut down Russia's access to their network of GPS satellites.

The russians tried to occupy an air base (Hostomel) near Kyiv and succeded initially but an ukrainian counterattack regained the base. There are reports of two Il-76 transports downed by ukrainian AAA/SAM and several assault helicopters (even 6 at once). If they are correct, russian losses could be pretty hard and perhaps could ruled out new airborne assaults.

It is my understanding that the MiG-29 and Su-27 were designed with the aim to use roads and even open ground (more or less even and hard I guess) as runways, so it could be very possible that ukrainians dispersed the AF in advance. The russian attack was far from a surprise one.

Don´t know if Rusia had been denied the use of GPS but since they use an alternative (Glonass) I think it didn´t truely make any difference.

The fog of war and a lot of wishful thinking, but I'd like to think this is accurate.

That video has been confirmed as fake. Someone took video from a video game and placed it over actual video. There was a guy online who even was able to crop out the planes and you clearly see the pixels from the game.

It's very well done though…

According to the information available, they were dispersed. Allegedly, thanks to the NATO warning.

According to the information available, they were dispersed. Allegedly, thanks to the NATO warning.
IFF - Identification Friend or Foe had to the tricky when your opponent is flying the same kit. Maybe when this is all over the Ukrainians can swap over to F-16s, etc. Likely provided FOC.

Meanwhile Poland is buying Abram tanks. Maybe Ukraine can buy some? Mind you, they make their own T-64 tanks in Ukraine, which are apparently a match for anything the Russians have.

Last edited:
The air force upgrade program was, unfortunately, delayed and then postponed. There were talks about F-16 and Gripen.
Luckily, some Bayraktar UAVs were purchased and integrated into the system, just in time.

I'm surprised the Russians haven't used air strikes, TLAMs or even special forces to disable the Ukrainian air forces and runways on day one.

Russians don't use TLAMs, and even if they did they're not anti-runway weapons. Tomahawks are American weapons and haven't been sold to Russia, and they're not very useful against runways, except perhaps for generating FOD which can be swept up.

Any speculation on a "what if Ukraine hung onto the nukes that had been stationed there?"?

The Nukes are gone. The Budapest Agreement in 2004 signed by the US, UK, and Russia guaranteed Ukraine's defense and security if they gave up the nukes.

We see what Putin thinks of the agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back