I suppose the war in Ukraine finally seal MiG-29 fates for good

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nodeo-Franvier

Airman 1st Class
Jul 13, 2020
Before the war I was counting on the Argentine airforce to adopt MiG-29/35,But with this war that seem impossible now.

Only India is left with their latest MiG-29 contract I guess,Anyone know whether the Russian fulfilled that contract yet?

From Reuters:

NEW DELHI, March 23 (Reuters) [2023 -- Thump] - Russia is unable to deliver vital defence supplies it had committed to India's military because of the war in Ukraine, the Indian Air Force (IAF) says.

New Delhi has been worried that Moscow's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 could affect military supplies from India's largest source of defence equipment. The IAF statement is the first official confirmation of such shortfalls.

The IAF statement was made to a parliamentiary committee, which published it on its website on Tuesday. An IAF representative told the panel Russia had planned a "major delivery" this year that will not take place.

[...]

The IAF also informed the parliamentary panel that the Russia-Ukraine war affected its supplies so much that it slashed its projected capital expenditure on modernisation for the financial year ending March 31, 2024, by nearly a third compared to the previous fiscal year.

The air force had projected a capital expenditure of 853 billion rupees ($10.38 billion) for fiscal 2022-23 and cut it to 588 billion rupees ($7.15 billion) in the national budget presented in February.

Before the war I was counting on the Argentine airforce to adopt MiG-29/35,But with this war that seem impossible now.

Only India is left with their latest MiG-29 contract I guess,Anyone know whether the Russian fulfilled that contract yet?
All of India's MiG-29s are upgraded to the -29UPG standard, there doesn't seem to have been any plans after 2016 to acquire any more aircraft.

I don't think they'll be many left. There will probably be little demand for any Russian equipment going forward.
The Indian Air Force has 65 MiG-29UPGs in service and the Indian Navy has 35 MiG-29Ks, but keep an eye on their native fighter, the Tejas manufactured by HAL.

They have other fighters that are Soviet/Russian or French, the most numerous being the Su-30.

I don't think India or China will be using Russian origin stuff past the immediate future. The J-20(?) is more stolen American design than stolen Russian design.

I don't think India or China will be using Russian origin stuff past the immediate future. The J-20(?) is more stolen American design than stolen Russian design.
Check out the Tejas:

Currently, they are developing their own naval fighter to replace the naval MiG-29Ks and are in the process of developing their own 5th (and 5.5) generation fighter, the AMCA which is a stealth fighter.

It seems to me, that in the not so distant future, India and South Korea might edge out China in the export vacuum that Russia created.

Check out the Tejas:

Currently, they are developing their own naval fighter to replace the naval MiG-29Ks and are in the process of developing their own 5th (and 5.5) generation fighter, the AMCA which is a stealth fighter.

It seems to me, that in the not so distant future, India and South Korea might edge out China in the export vacuum that Russia created.
Isn't "Tejas" the original name of the state of Texas?

Isn't "Tejas" the original name of the state of Texas?
The area of Texas used to be known by the Spanish word "Tejas", yes.

However, the Hindu word "Tejas" means "Brilliant".

I should add that they are also pronounced differently.

Tejas in Spanish is "tay-hess".

Tejas in Hindi is "tay-juss".

Whenever I see the name Tejas, it reminds me of this gatefold picture from an old ZZ Top album which I thought was Tejas but was actually Tres Hombres. Seeing this picture always makes me crave Mexican food and cold beer.
ZZ Top Tres Hombres (1973).jpg

Well, actually Iran had decided to cancel the order of MiG-35.

According to what, Air Force's assistant chief of public relations, had stated, the reason was that the Russians already had bad reputation with Iran, including many postponed promises and disrespected deals, he mentioned the Bushehr Nuclear reactor, and spare parts for Soviet built equipment, as examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back