The FW 190 as a dogfighter in a turning contest ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Achi

Airman
Jan 24, 2010
Germany
In Gregs Youtube -canel " Gregs Airplanes " was a new video about the FW 190 A4 ( with MW 50, but I dont believe it gets ever this device in frontline Service ) as a great fighter, the next version, A5, was longer and more heavy. I remember a narrative from Walter Nowotny from early 1943, when he is dogfighting in his FW 190A4 against Airacobras and as I assume, Jaks ( published in Osprey Aircraft of the Aces). Here Im wondering that he could turn with the Sowjet fighters in his FW 190A4. Some times later ( five years )I get a look at a Fotostory about the arrival of Nowotny at Mont Marsan, 24.5.1944, with his FW 190 A4, in my opinion his frontline fighter from 11.43( In the german journal " Luftwaffe im Fokus " Issue 11 ) . For me very intresting is that this fighter was brightly polished, the outer guns and the MG 17 were removed (maybe other things ) and it has weel well doors. In this configuration the FW 190 was apparently light enough to compete in a turning contest with the Airacobras and Jaks. If this was carried out by other pilots of the JG 54 ? I dont know.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong. What made the fw190 such a fearsome opponent was her quick acceleration due to her high power to rate ratio ( which was mentioned in Greg's video)and fast roll rate. Now granted this is against the Spitfire V but when the Butcher Bird first appeared the Spits only advantage was she could outmaneuver the Fw190. And she was still getting her ass kicked.

So the Yaks (Jaks) and airacobras MIGHT have been able to out turn the Fw's but the old Butcher Bird had other tricks up her sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back