The Gipper meets the dreaded Zero!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That was GREAT!
I saw a Ronald Reagan movie years ago. Had to be earlier than this one. I think his character enlisted in the RCAF (kinda' hazy) but he was flying a Spitfire. Not sure which mark of Spitfire as it had an open cockpit, fixed landing gear and rigging from the wing tips to the fuselage. Either that or one helluva' camouflage paint job.

That was GREAT!
I saw a Ronald Reagan movie years ago. Had to be earlier than this one. I think his character enlisted in the RCAF (kinda' hazy) but he was flying a Spitfire. Not sure which mark of Spitfire as it had an open cockpit, fixed landing gear and rigging from the wing tips to the fuselage. Either that or one helluva' camouflage paint job.
Reagan was in the 1941 movie "International Squadron", but I don't recall seeing open cockpit Spitfires...
I could of sworn I saw him in a movie where someone mentions Spitfire and he's in an open cockpit plane. I was in a hotel in Khon Kaen when I saw it but I may have had a bit too much Mehkong Whiskey. If such a thing is possible.

The modest budget for International Squadron necessitated the use of the Alhambra, California Municipal Airport standing in for an RAF base, and a bevy of contemporary civil aircraft standing in for the latest RAF fighters. The unlikely group included a Mantz's Boeing Model 100, Brown B-3 Racer, three Ryan STA trainers and a Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship.

The B-3, the STA, and the Type R all sound like what you saw.

The modest budget for International Squadron necessitated the use of the Alhambra, California Municipal Airport standing in for an RAF base, and a bevy of contemporary civil aircraft standing in for the latest RAF fighters. The unlikely group included a Mantz's Boeing Model 100, Brown B-3 Racer, three Ryan STA trainers and a Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship.

The B-3, the STA, and the Type R all sound like what you saw.
Thanks! I thought I was imagining things.
It was either the Brown B-3 or the Ryan STA. I'm leaning towards the B-3.
Thanks again.

"She has a 14 cylinder radial engine, of over 900 horsepower, copy of a Cyclone."
Leave it to Reagan to not know the difference between a Cyclone and a Twin Wasp! And don't point to the R2600; it wasn't hatched yet when the Zero was designed. The Sakae's closest American cousin was a Pratt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back