The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great perspective on the whole Arrow discussion - also remember as the Arrow was being scrapped North American was mocking up the F-108 which "would of" been very similar in performance. At the same time look at the Vigilante which was being developed at the same time - although it was a bomber it seemed like a carbon copy of the arrow's performance.

Regarding the Lightning, the idea that it was a straight line interceptor that couldn't dogfight is a bit of a misnomer. In Roland Beaumonts book 'Testing Early Jets' there is a flight test report on the Lightning by a USAF test pilot (name escapes me) who (rather excitedly) declares it to be the finest fighter aircraft he has flown, describing a speed and acceleration that took his breath away and easily beat the F-104 and F-106 and being amazed that it also handled like an F-86 (his words) adding that a jet like this shouldn't be able to turn like it does.

So does my beloved F-4 still stand a chance? How many haven't voted yet?

Come on guys there is still a chance

Regards
Kruska

It just had 0 range

It had perfectly adequate range for its purpose. I heard a story quite some time ago about English Electrics possible improvements on the Lightning which would have increased its range, mostly. Unfortunately the details elude my tiny little mind at the moment. I know, however, that the improved Lightning was to be longer.

It was a point interceptor lacking the range needed if it was to be exported , it would be useless in North America and Australia

Okay, but we are already mixing apples and oranges here. If we are talking about fighter aircraft that were best at performing their design specifications, that is different than a fighter aircraft that is most capable of performing multiple roles. It all boils down to a popularity contest with a smattering of technical support logic in the end. But that's the fun in debating the silliness of the question to begin with.

But in reality all fighter aircraft are expected to have some capacity to perform multiple roles and I really don't see the lightning having the long distance legs to perform useful combat operations as a fighter. It is more restricted to a radius around its airfield than a lot of other fighter aircraft. In reality, fighters even in the 1950s and 1960s when the Lightning was purchased were expected in a conflict to do more than just fight enemy aircraft...

100% W-R-O-N-G! Look at the spec the Lightning was develped to - it's primary purpose that that of an interceptor.

Where do you come up with this stuff????
if it was designed with no range which might be a possibilty considering the small area it would be responsible for I'll accept it was a good aircraft but ....

I am not denying it was good for airfield defence and point defence. Yes it is an interceptor aircraft. What I am saying is that it really has no real use once you have destroyed the enemy aircraft. I really think the best fighter aircraft was the F-15 as this is an all-round combat aircraft that can mix it with enemy aircraft, attack ground targets and have good range while doing so.

I am not denying it was good for airfield defence and point defence. Yes it is an interceptor aircraft. What I am saying is that it really has no real use once you have destroyed the enemy aircraft.
That was the reason it was designed to begin with!!!!
I really think the best fighter aircraft was the F-15 as this is an all-round combat aircraft that can mix it with enemy aircraft, attack ground targets and have good range while doing so.
The multi-role philosophy came almost a decade later when by that time technology allowed modern combat aircraft to perform multi roles effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread