The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whatever .... I am aware of the differences in technology and how it's so very unlikely but many of the inovations/features are very similar if you stare at them . This magazine dated back about to 78 but the guy who wrote the article made a good case to to my untrained eye
Compare any other aircraft from 1958 to the 14 or the 15 and which one has more common DNA .

Whatever .... I am aware of the differences in technology and how it's so very unlikely but many of the inovations/features are very similar if you stare at them . This magazine dated back about to 78 but the guy who wrote the article made a good case to to my untrained eye
Compare any other aircraft from 1958 to the 14 or the 15 and which one has more common DNA .

Look at them pB. They dont look anything alike from the nose to the engine cowlings to the wings to the tail.

There is nothing similar, and they are not derived from one another.

From front on. I never realised how long the Arrow's undercarriage legs were.

Well, after reading some of the comments in regards to my CF-105 / F-111 comment, I took a look-see and I have to agree.
Other than a swept wing twin jet powered aircraft, I don't see a whole lot of similarity between the two.
If I ever do run across that picture again, I'll post it, and if I can't do that, I'll let you guys know where I saw it so you can check it out for yourselves.

Elvis

To this untrained eye? Mmmmm

B-58
Avro Vulcan (especially including planform)
F-102
F-106
Tu-22M
Mig-23
Mig-27

Just off the top of my head...

Well, after reading some of the comments in regards to my CF-105 / F-111 comment, I took a look-see and I have to agree.
Other than a swept wing twin jet powered aircraft, I don't see a whole lot of similarity between the two.
If I ever do run across that picture again, I'll post it, and if I can't do that, I'll let you guys know where I saw it so you can check it out for yourselves.

Elvis
One of the things that I recall in the article was the intakes if you look to 57-58 very few if any aircraft had the square type intakes underwing they were annular there were several other comments which I can't recall. Before some of us have kittens I already stated the fact I don't believe the article was written in stone but it was out there and the writer made some points which he backed up . whether his logic was correct I don't know. But the DNA question remains which aircraft from that period shows more traits that carries through to todays modern fighters .

Oh crap I forgot the Vigi! A-5 Vigilante. Maiden flight 1958.

Attachments

• a5.gif
    a5.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 90
I saw the A5 also but ain't gonna arm the opposition, next take a look at the shape of the wing and the "droop" it isn't a straight wing its full of curves (yes every wing is:lol: ) but it has the form of more modern aircraft then most if not all in 58. Once again I am aware this is more fantasy then fact but then again don't shoot the messenger I didn't write the article that takes brains and fancy initials after your name which I've been told I sorely lack

PB,

Quite correct. The rectangular intakes were not as apparent at that time.
I'd forgotten about the A-5...maybe that was it.
Do you recall if the comparison pictures looked like the line drawings that have been posted in this thread?
That's how I remember them. In fact, I think it was white lines against a blue background - almost like a blueprint, but not as detailed.

Elvis

PB,

Quite correct. The rectangular intakes were not as apparent at that time.
I'd forgotten about the A-5...maybe that was it.
Do you recall if the comparison pictures looked like the line drawings that have been posted in this thread?
That's how I remember them. In fact, I think it was white lines against a blue background - almost like a blueprint, but not as detailed.

Elvis
colours I can t recall but yes almost like a blueprint

Hello
I feel a little cheated, there read choice(s) and I tried to vote both F-86 and F-4 but succeeded to give only a vote to F-4. Now I'm not a Phantom fan, I only accept that it was maybe the greatest jet fighter, partly because it was produced in so vast numbers. Lightning Mks 2A and 6, F-106 and F-8 are more in my liking, even F-105 is! But F-4 with all of its faults fought well over many battlefields and IMHO the results are the thing that counted. So that's the reason I tried to share my vote between F-86 and F-4. But if I have to chose between them I would have voted F-86, truly great plane and more to my liking.

Juha

I would love to have chosen the F-22 but it is still and untested (in combat) aircraft, So i went with the F-15 a good strong aircraft that has been tested in combat.

You know, there's talk out there that the Arrow was the basis for the F-111.
Of course, I think it was developed as a bomber.
I wonder how successful the F-111 would've been as a fighter.

...its kinda big for one, isn't it?

Elvis

The F-4 Phantom was kinda big, Kinda fast too, Same with the arrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back