THE HALIFAX EXPLOSION: 1917 (Nova Scotia) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hadn't seen this thread before.

I think it is known about but people don't really have a grasp of the scale of it.

We were in Halifax last summer and saw that panoramic photo, it's amazing when you see it enlarged and can grasp the scale of the destruction. I can't recall the grim facts now but the relics stories were pretty harrowing.

RAF Fauld bomb store was the largest explosion in WW2 apart from the nukes (4,000 tons of bombs), some still claim it's the biggest non-nuclear explosion.

It's a moot point and may indicate ignorance of the Halifax explosion.

Fauld Menu

Fauld

My mother's parents both lived through it (obviously ;) ). Both were only 5 at the time. The following day, the worst blizzard that had ever occurred to that date hit Halifax.
The people of Boston Massachusetts reached out with their support, and helped immeasurably in that time of great need. The city of Halifax has never forgotten that, and to this day donates a large blue spruce to the city of Boston every Christmas as a small token of thanks. We consider Boston our "sister city".
The bells still ring at the Fort Needham memorial every Dec. 6th. http://www.mikecampbell.net/explosionbell.htm

Great post, trackie. :cool:

my mums parents (my grandparents) were also there and then came to England to live. My grandmother was 7 when she survived this terrible disaster. she was off school sick with her siblings and if she had gone to school when would not have lived. she got trapped behind a table in the living room by the exposion but was unhurt and luckily so was the rest of her family

Users who are viewing this thread

Back