The Here, Now

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

a10-afghanistan-1800.jpg

(U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Gregory Brook)
Lawmakers Just Saved Dozens of A-10 Warthogs from the Boneyard

Last edited:
AFT: A B-52 Stratofortress flies in formation with F-16 Fighting Falcons and F-15E Strike Eagles during a Bomber Task Force mission over the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility, Nov. 21, 2020. (Staff Sgt. Sean Carnes/Air Force)
2MQL26OSQBESHPP66PCL4JXCMI.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know when that picture appeared in MDN, but the picture itself is not recent.

The ships, near to far, are (I think) a flight 3 US Navy Oliver Hazard Perry (OHP) frigate, a Japanese Asagiri class destroyer, a US Navy Arleigh Burke destroyer, and a US Navy Kitty Hawk class CV. The Asagiri class and the Burke class ships are still in use, but the last US OHP was decommissioned in late 2015, so this image has to be from before that date. But the oldest ship present is the CV, and the last Kitty Hawk class CV was decommissioned in 2009, so the picture has to be 2009 or before.

12 Perry's are still in mothballs, and there has been recent discussion of bringing a few (6'ish) out of mothball to support the needs of the Navy. What is a Navy without Frigates or Corvettes?

T!

I don't know when that picture appeared in MDN, but the picture itself is not recent.

The ships, near to far, are (I think) a flight 3 US Navy Oliver Hazard Perry (OHP) frigate, a Japanese Asagiri class destroyer, a US Navy Arleigh Burke destroyer, and a US Navy Kitty Hawk class CV. The Asagiri class and the Burke class ships are still in use, but the last US OHP was decommissioned in late 2015, so this image has to be from before that date. But the oldest ship present is the CV, and the last Kitty Hawk class CV was decommissioned in 2009, so the picture has to be 2009 or before.

12 Perry's are still in mothballs, and there has been recent discussion of bringing a few (6'ish) out of mothball to support the needs of the Navy. What is a Navy without Frigates or Corvettes?

T!

The guided-missile frigate USS Rodney M. Davis, left; the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer JS Setogiri; the guided-missile destroyer USS O'Kane; and the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk steam in formation during a Rim of the Pacific 2008 exercise group photo off the coast of the Hawaiian Islands. (Navy photo by Kyle Gahlau)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back