The High Yo-Yo (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NAVAIR,

Those pilot you interviewed, if they transitioned into P-51s they may have never flown the late Js and L models. Did they mention model and what exactly was their preference for the P-51? I've read a number of accounts where the P-38 (at least the Ls) was prefered at all altitudes, (Art Heiden for example). So far the main gripe I've heard was engines (bad fuel incorrect operating proceedures), lack of heat and dive flaps in the early models, granted, at 60deg below thats a pretty big deal.

Just curious, I'd like to know all about the P-38 in particular and WWII aircraft in gereral.

wmaxt

If we're talking about lanc, he's bombing in 1941. At best he's gettin' in the 5 mile radius of the target.

Because before 1941 we were hardly bombing them. Mostly through 1940 we were reeling back from the German onslaught on France and then their attack on the homeland. After 1941 we were actually hitting the targets because the targets were cities.

No, you've completely missed the target.

The original statement was an extremely vague crack at you being off target (target being women - keep with the programme). I don't know how, or why I'd include a serious statement about the Bomber Command being 5 miles off target, when the thread is about a fighter manoevre. But then, anythin' goes on here.

No. You took your time understanding.

pD and Lanc :p :p :p Where are their hands and what are they doing?

_463071_nudge.jpg

"Yo Yo's" are closure control maneuvers taught in Basic Fighter Maneuvers. The High Yo-Yo is used when you have excess closure, and you roll into lag and go up (controlling closure by transferring kinetic energy into Potential energy), then over-rotate and place lift vector in lead and pull inside the bandit using the additional vertical altitude as turning room to turn "inside" the bandit.

A Low Yo-Yo is used to generate closure...when trapped in lag, you over-rotate and place the lift vector in lead, predicting WHERE the bandit is going and using Gods-G, aka gravity, to help increase your turn radius, maintain your speed, and help you use the vertical turning room to turn "inside" the bandit.

Realize both of these can be countered by an aware bandit who can re-orient his lift vector and deny you the opportunity to take advantage of the vertical.

Obviously roll-rate plays a part in this, but more importantly is the early recognition of the problem and applying the correct maneuver to the situation.

Cheers!
Dobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back