The might of the Irish Navy..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was trying to be funny ..HaHa. Apparently I failed. I know who he was.

You see in Ireland he is know as " St. Brendan the navigator ".And you will find I wrote that we had better navigational skills than at least some of the Royal navy officers.( the captain and the officer of the watch involved in the accident I mentioned were court martialed ). Intresting point you make , do navigators have to be famous to be good ! I think your confusing navigators with explorers.

Reminds me of this internet detritus... :)

ACTUAL transcript of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. This radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on 10-10-95.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."

Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."

Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

No it didn't. This has been a joke that has been around since the 60s. Probably on Snopes.com too.

C'mon people. Give the world's seamen some credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back