The Most Awesome Looking WWII Aircraft Ever

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How about the Republic XF-12 "Rainbow" ?

Attachments

• republic_xf-12_1.jpg
    republic_xf-12_1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 192
How about the Republic XF-12 "Rainbow" ?

Amazing looking bird until you get to the tail. For some reason the tail fin just doesnt look quite right to me dont know why but it just stops it being the most awesome looker. A bit like Charlise Theron in a knockout dress but wearing Rigger Boots.

Because I LOVE too many damn aircraft I'll break it up into sections.

Bombers: It's a toss up between B-25 and B-17. There's something majestic about the B-17 and how mighty it was but it also was sleek too. And the B-25 was just a beautiful little bomer

Single Engine: 4 way tie for me between P-51D5, Bf109 E/F series, Spitfire MkV and MkIX and also the Ki-100

Two engine: Easily the P-61 and the Mosquito...both elegant in their own way and devastating as well.

It's very difficult to break it all down for me but those are them! Lol :lol:

north-p61e.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-Vb-JG891-01.jpg

Attachments

• bf109f21centbg_48.jpg
    bf109f21centbg_48.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 151
B-29 for me..

first a walk around, then watch it being refueled and bombs loaded, watch the crew chiefs standing by with fire extinguishers as #3 turned over, then all four engines run up for a mag check while the ground shakes under you, watch it lumber on the transient and turn onto the active... then close your ears as the pilot runs up to MP and roll down the runway.. and hear it for another minute minimum after it rotates and lifts off.

Everything else until the B-36 seems insignificant in comparison (to me)

B-29 for me..

first a walk around, then watch it being refueled and bombs loaded, watch the crew chiefs standing by with fire extinguishers as #3 turned over, then all four engines run up for a mag check while the ground shakes under you, watch it lumber on the transient and turn onto the active... then close your ears as the pilot runs up to MP and roll down the runway.. and hear it for another minute minimum after it rotates and lifts off.

Everything else until the B-36 seems insignificant in comparison (to me)
Can't say I've had the pleasure of hearing a B-29 (that I remember) but I sure can tell you that the sound of a B-36 was about as unique as a C-5. You knew what it was just by the sound!

And what a sound it was!

There are to fat looking.For unmade the Me-329.

Nice ac, I wonder if it could've turned out to be the "Mosquito killer" the LW so desperately need later in the war.

As for my favorite unmade, it's gotta be the Fw 238 A (the AC in my sig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back