The Most Awesome Looking WWII Aircraft Ever

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The big 37mm gun pods are something to notice, there is no doubt.
The Monogram 1/48 G was my first Stuka in that scale.

The D and G were more streamlined than the B and just looked more aggressive, but I will say that the early version, like the B looked like a prehistoric predator!

I had the Airfix Ju87B kit when I was a kid and I thought that was the most awesome thing on the planet.

"Awesome" is a modern word that is is really over used today. I have always thought it meant to be struck with awe when you encountered it. So it may be on the periphery, but I think the GO 229 does it for me. Even though it never got operational, the sheer cutting edge design far outstripped anything that anyone else had come up with. 60 years ahead of the stealth fighter, it made the Me 262 look like a biplane by comparison. I think there is one tucked away somewhere in the U.S, but I can't remember where.

...I think there is one tucked away somewhere in the U.S, but I can't remember where.
You'll find it at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. It's been moved to the restoration facility for evaluation.

There is an exact replica, built by Northrop for testing, that was donated to the San Diego Air and Space museum when they were finished with thier studies.

Let me state the obvious, the most "awesome looking aircraft" is of course the Fokker G-1 Yes I know, no-one can deny it. Please don't thank me for ending this discussion and making that everyone can go home satisfied with a question well answered :lol:

edit: I see that I answered this question before. Why did it go on? Why didn't you stop and bowed your knees in the face of my greatness :evil:? Ah well.... :lol:

Last edited:
You'll find it at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. It's been moved to the restoration facility for evaluation.

There is an exact replica, built by Northrop for testing, that was donated to the San Diego Air and Space museum when they were finished with thier studies.
Thanks for the update; did Northrop ever get this to fly, or was it just a technical mock up? Some people have made scale models of this plane and had all kinds of stability gremlins.

I's a non-flying replica, but built as acurately as possible.

The intention was to evaluate it's design and radar cross-section.

If you'd like to check it out, here's a link: San Diego Air Space Museum - Balboa Park, San Diego
Wow, thanks for the link! Amazing looking plane, with the usual Nazi tech superiority commentary thrown in. I've always wondered if the flying Sub from the cult T.V series " Voyage to the bottom of the sea" was based off this design.

Hard to say what the Flying Sub's design inspiration was, but the late 50's and early 60's were a time of futuristic optimism.

As far as flying wings go, the Germans didn't hold a monopoly on the design, as there were quite a few designs and prototypes built by designers from many countries in the years before WWII. But the Germans were able to push the "flying wing" design to a higher level with the help of Dr. Lippisch and the Horton Brothers.

I've been resisting, but I have to ask...what is the story with the bevy of buxom blondes in your avatar? Is it a Bavarian Beer fest sort of thing, or am I totally off track?

I've been resisting, but I have to ask...what is the story with the bevy of buxom blondes in your avatar? Is it a Bavarian Beer fest sort of thing, or am I totally off track?
These photos are from various locations/occasions, Girls and Beer...what more could one ask for? :lol:

For me the most awesome and beautiful looking aircraft that flew during WW2 was the de Havilland Hornet... but for production aircraft I'd go with a Spitfire PR.XIX in a fresh coat of paint. The Griffon gives it an edge of aggressiveness over the Merlin powered types while the plain PRU Blue shows off its classic lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back