The Most Awesome Looking WWII Aircraft Ever

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also worth mentioning for looks with non-retractable gear:

The Fokker DXXI:
FokkerDXXIabateunJunkers52-FrancisBorgese-1.jpg

The Miles M.20:
Miles_M.20.jpg

I really don't think this would be a good poll. As was mentioned earlier, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for different reasons. For a single seater, I like the FW190 Dora. I also like with Black Widow, Mosquito, JU88 night fighter, Me 110, Fiat CR 42 CN, J1N1 Gekko, Bolden Paul Defiant, Potez 631, Pe 3 Bis, etc. etc... need I say more? :)

I really don't think this would be a good poll. As was mentioned earlier, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for different reasons. For a single seater, I like the FW190 Dora. I also like with Black Widow, Mosquito, JU88 night fighter, Me 110, Fiat CR 42 CN, J1N1 Gekko, Bolden Paul Defiant, Potez 631, Pe 3 Bis, etc. etc... need I say more? :)

I think this thread is more about sharing love of old time plane looks. Also, it gives less informed people a chance to see beautiful planes they might not know about otherwise.

Mmmm let see.

There is more than one sort of 'awe'. Ik could be in awe because I'm struck by sheer beauty or I could be in awe cos something scared the living sh't out of me. For some sort of reason German planes seemt more terrifying than any other. Where allied planes tended to have sleek almost organic lines (there are exceptions, I know!), the german planes had baroc sometimes even grotesk shapes. The HE 111 looks like they have done the utmost to make it look menacing, the 177 land the ju290 look like giant bird of prey. The ar 240 and the he 219 are plain creepy. Compare a L2 to a FI 156. Comparable planes but it seems something went horribly wrong with the latter. Even a straight forward plane like the fw 190 can look eery with just a paint job. I've seen pics of a fw 190a5/u8 that was largely painted matt black with just a few touches of dark grey on the uppersides of the wings and the fuselege. Eventhe swastika was blackend. Creepy and yet and yet.. Well I can't find any other word to describe it than COOL.

But so is in my opinion a Curtis P40B with sharkteeth. The P40D was in that aspect a lot less cool. May be it's just me.

May be it's just me.

I don't think it's just you. You've expressed a similar visceral reaction I've always felt looking at Luftwaffe aircraft. Probably the reason I could never really warm up to them as simple machines of war. It's not just the social political historic association. The A6M Zero or Betty does not give me the creeps produced by the Bf-109 or FW 190, or any of the Luftwaffe bombers, many of which are cool looking. But there is definitely a menacing aspect to them I don't get from allied designs. To me, the B-25 looks like a friendly golden retriever compared to the JU-88. :eek: The allied machines, Italian (Re-2005) or even the Japanese look to me more like thoroughbred race horses than killing machines. IMO... the Luftwaffe machines look inherently lethal. just sitting on the ground. However, I do get a similar feeling looking at the Vought F4U.

Last edited:
I don't think it's just you. You've expressed a similar visceral reaction I've always felt looking at Luftwaffe aircraft. Probably the reason I could never really warm up to them as simple machines of war. It's not just the social political historic association. The A6M Zero or Betty does not give me the creeps produced by the Bf-109 or FW 190, or any of the Luftwaffe bombers, many of which are cool looking. But there is definitely a menacing aspect to them I don't get from allied designs. To me, the B-25 looks like a friendly golden retriever compared to the JU-88. :eek: The allied machines, Italian (Re-2005) or even the Japanese look to me more like thoroughbred race horses than killing machines. IMO... the Luftwaffe machines look inherently lethal. just sitting on the ground. However, I do get a similar feeling looking at the Vought F4U.

Might have something to do with dat gull wing...?

Typhoon looks fast and tough

Yes, but like the cowboy lantern-jawed heros of my youth, it was the good guy... :D It just looks pugnacious and as you say 'tough' but not inherently evil. :twisted:

Further, I would suggest that anyone who loves Luftwaffe aircraft has a dark side (probably a closet vampire) :twisted: and may need counseling.... :shock: No please don't ban me... :cry: I'm just kidding guys and gals... :) and besides Readie made me say it! :mad: You Luftwaffe guys are OK and besides the Focke Wulfe 190 is the real reason I took 4 years of Deutch in school. Uh Oh... my own dark side is coming out... :oops:

And yes, the gull wing is JUST WRONG... and yet so right. :lol:

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I'll revive this thread. While many American pilots hated this plane, I think it's beautiful.

P-39 Airacobra!

K, I will jump in.
The most awesome looking aircraft is......
(Surprise, surprise!)
Willy's wonder, the Bf-109. Specifically the "E" version.
Looks like a shark with that blunt nose, low slung exhausts and grim radiator "mouth'. Compact, sleek and a rudder to die for, when she was gussied up in BoB markings, this is one fine looking machine!
If I could get close to one, they would have to peel me off.
Second place, (and a very close second) is the P-40 B. A bit chunkier than the '109, nevertheless, like the '109 it looks like flying sex/death!
Third place, the Junkers Ju-87 B. Nothing says "terror from above" like a Stuka. It was so ugly, it was beautiful and the "B" model had ugly in spades. Unlike the "D"' and "G" version, the "B" has that vulture-like appearance that said "aggression" like none other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back