The Most Cost-Effective Plane of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

magnocain

Senior Airman
Oct 28, 2007
What was the most cost-effective plane of WW2?
On these criteria:
1. low cost
2. low maintenance
3. climb
4. maneuverability
5. armament
6. speed
7. range

well, assuming Kk is right, of the big three US Fighters, (P-51, P-38 and P-47), the most cost effective is the P-51. Unit cost was $51000 as compared to $67k and $91K for the P-47 and P-38 respectively.

The P-40 was cheaper, but not as effective IMO

Yes for fighters. But be my guest if want to put down bombers too. Think of what a small country would use.

He 162 is something to consider.

Apart from when it falls apart due to poor build quality.

Does anyone have costs for German and Russian aircraft around? I've got some bits for USAAF, RAF and RA aircraft but don't have those to compare.

Why is it a fighter!?

I soon as I saw the thread, I thought it must be an aircraft that was built before the war started - but served throughout, simple to build and maintain, yet had some major battle honours.
What could it be - simple - Fairey Swordfish!

Not sure if it qualifies as an airplane or as the world's first simple cruise missle, but the V1 had a cost of something like $500 each. Granted, it was very inaccurate and a ramp had to be built but for $500 per copy, it did a lot of damage.

For one that was non operational, this is a contender...

Bell_XP-77.jpg

DeHavilland Mosquito.

Yak would be cheaper (my initial choice), but the 'Wooden Wonder' is still relatively inexpensive with it's plywood construction. Mossie meets all the other criteria, plus if you add an eighth category, multi-role capability, it delivered a lot of bang for the buck (pun intended).:p

Since the majority of this forum (at least I feel so) agreed on the C-47 to be the best aircraft in WW2, and the reasons stated match more or less the majority of the above criterias, the answer could only reflect back on the C-47.

Regards
Kruska

Since the majority of this forum (at least I feel so) agreed on the C-47 to be the best aircraft in WW2, and the reasons stated match more or less the majority of the above criterias, the answer could only reflect back on the C-47.

Regards
Kruska

Pretty darn good point - I was tossing P-40 early, Yak 3 late, and Mossie throughout but believe for just the reason you cited I would go with the C-47.

and there are sure as hell a lot more still flying than all the warbirds combined - which makes them still pretty cost effective until we factor in today's fuel costs

and there are sure as hell a lot more still flying than all the warbirds combined - which makes them still pretty cost effective until we factor in today's fuel costs

Yes, I agree that just this last factor that you forwarded would already be enough to prove this a/c as the #1 in regards to cost-efficiency-effectivness.

Regards
Kruska

Thanks guys.
Planes before the war are fine too.

Let me be more clear.
I soon as I saw the thread, I thought it must be an aircraft that was built before the war started - but served throughout, simple to build and maintain, yet had some major battle honours.
Yes that is fine. What would a small country use during WW2? is a more appropriate question.
Thank you to all of the people who have posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back