The Myth of the British "Fixing" The Corsair (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It wouldn't be the first time that something patently untrue got repeated until it became accepted as if it were fact.
  • M1 Garand killed GIs because of the "ping"
  • Japs removed Arisaka dust covers
  • Tiger tanks were the best thing ever in ww2
  • Tiger tanks were completely crap and 110% unreliable and had no impact whatsoever (the anti-wehraboo is as obnoxious as the wehraboo)*
  • Hitler got the me-262 delayed
Those are my favorite ones.
*This one is a new thing happening in the past 5 years with military youtubers, they decided it was great to dunk on the tiger myth and other stuff like the t-34, ak-47, IL-2, etc by completely going the 180 that boomer history channel documentaries talked, (no nuance except for actual historians like Military history visualized or the chieftain).

On Me 262
But the main reason was problems with the jet engines, there were also problems with the airframe. And then Willy's maneuvers. A quick translation of my own text on the matter.
"Part of the reason was also the first partial revival of the Me 209 program, as early as June 4, 1943, then the complete revival on August 13, 1943. More Messerschmitt design personnel were committed to its development than to the development of the Me 262 from the beginning of April 1943 to the middle of July 1943, despite the RLM's decision on 25 May 1943 to remove the Me 209 from the production plans. Willy Messerschmitt had not accepted the halting of preparations to start production of the Me 209 and wanted it to go into production together with the Me 262, in effect as the main production aircraft. Using his Nazi connections, manipulating even Hitler himself, praising the Me 209 and warning against mass production of the Me 262, justifying his position with the fact that the Me 262's fuel consumption was much higher than that of the Me 209, not mentioning that the Me 262 did not use high-octane aviation gasoline as the Me 209 being able to use more readily available fuels, he managed to get Hitler to give an order in early August 1943 to return the Me 209 to production plans, where it remained until 13 January 1944 according to Smith and Creek, or until 26 November 1943, when according to Boehme Göring personally intervened matter, ending the program. The production plan updated on 15.8.1943 kept the Me 262 production more or less unchanged, the production was to exceed the monthly production of 100 machines in December 1944, the monthly production of 250 machines in February 1945, the production of 500 machines in May 1945 and reach the monthly production of 1,000 Me 262s in September 1945. The production of the Me 209 was supposed to start in July 1944, the monthly production of 100 machines would have been reached in February 1945, the production would have increased to more than 300 machines per month in May 1945 and to more than 500 in July 1945. But the construction of two production lines at the same time slowed down the completion of both and thus delayed the start of Me 262 production. Hitler had probably been informed of the decision to put the Me 262 into serial production at the end of May 1943. According to Milch, Hitler had opposed dropping piston engine fighters from production in favour of the Me 262."

Smith and Creek = Smith, J. Richard & Creek Eddie J. 1997: Me 262 Volume One. Classic Publications, Burgess Hill.
Boehme = Boehme, Manfred 1992: JG 7 The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945. Schiffer Publishing, Atglen, PA.

Why does this British myth exist? Well I know why but don't want to start a bunch of drama. Had enough of that over on quora.

I will say I began thinking something was screwy with that narrative when models of the so-called birdcage Corsairs from the USS Bunker Hill (Jolly Rogers) began appearing in my search results.

On Me 262
But the main reason was problems with the jet engines, there were also problems with the airframe. And then Willy's maneuvers. A quick translation of my own text on the matter.
"Part of the reason was also the first partial revival of the Me 209 program, as early as June 4, 1943, then the complete revival on August 13, 1943. More Messerschmitt design personnel were committed to its development than to the development of the Me 262 from the beginning of April 1943 to the middle of July 1943, despite the RLM's decision on 25 May 1943 to remove the Me 209 from the production plans. Willy Messerschmitt had not accepted the halting of preparations to start production of the Me 209 and wanted it to go into production together with the Me 262, in effect as the main production aircraft. Using his Nazi connections, manipulating even Hitler himself, praising the Me 209 and warning against mass production of the Me 262, justifying his position with the fact that the Me 262's fuel consumption was much higher than that of the Me 209, not mentioning that the Me 262 did not use high-octane aviation gasoline as the Me 209 being able to use more readily available fuels, he managed to get Hitler to give an order in early August 1943 to return the Me 209 to production plans, where it remained until 13 January 1944 according to Smith and Creek, or until 26 November 1943, when according to Boehme Göring personally intervened matter, ending the program. The production plan updated on 15.8.1943 kept the Me 262 production more or less unchanged, the production was to exceed the monthly production of 100 machines in December 1944, the monthly production of 250 machines in February 1945, the production of 500 machines in May 1945 and reach the monthly production of 1,000 Me 262s in September 1945. The production of the Me 209 was supposed to start in July 1944, the monthly production of 100 machines would have been reached in February 1945, the production would have increased to more than 300 machines per month in May 1945 and to more than 500 in July 1945. But the construction of two production lines at the same time slowed down the completion of both and thus delayed the start of Me 262 production. Hitler had probably been informed of the decision to put the Me 262 into serial production at the end of May 1943. According to Milch, Hitler had opposed dropping piston engine fighters from production in favour of the Me 262."

Smith and Creek = Smith, J. Richard & Creek Eddie J. 1997: Me 262 Volume One. Classic Publications, Burgess Hill.
Boehme = Boehme, Manfred 1992: JG 7 The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945. Schiffer Publishing, Atglen, PA.
Even by 1943, the RLM did not fully back, nor fund the jet program and this is what led to delays in the BMW003 and Jumo004 development.

Never mind that the RLM passed up every opportunity to take the lead in Jet aircraft development in the late 1930's and even had a true Jet fighter dropped in their lap (He280) in 1942 - while the Me262 was still struggling with development.

So Hitler's desire for the Me262 to be a bomber was one setback of many, but the full blame sould be placed squarely on the RLM.

In the days of the Garand, there was no hearing protection for soldiers and during combat, you'd be hard-pressed to hear the clip's "ping" when it ejected, due to the roaring in your ears.

And Hitler's insistence that the Me262 be a "schnellbomber" did add to the delays that the Me262 program was experiencing.

My dad has an M1 and I can personally confirm the only ping you hear is when the clip hits gravel. If it lands in grass, you don't hear shit.

My dad has an M1 and I can personally confirm the only ping you hear is when the clip hits gravel. If it lands in grass, you don't hear shit.
Run a few mags through that M1 without hearing protection and then tell me if you can hear the spent clips hit gravel, the mantel of an AFV or the center of a brass gong. :)

And for extra effect, wear an M1 steel pot so you can get the full pleasure of the report massaging your eardrums, skull, teeth, etc. :thumbleft:

Run a few mags through that M1 without hearing protection and then tell me if you can hear the spent clips hit gravel, the mantel of an AFV or the center of a brass gong. :)

And for extra effect, wear an M1 steel pot so you can get the full pleasure of the report massaging your eardrums, skull, teeth, etc. :thumbleft:

No way am I trying that. I'm deaf enough as it is!
With hearing protection, you hear a faint ting noise when it hits the gravel or table but nothing when the clip itself ejects other than that fierce bark coming from the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back