The Myth of the British "Fixing" The Corsair (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Though frequently mentioned, what exactly is "sea level"? A Wildcat diving away from a Zero at sea level seems counter productive. So, is sea level a statistical starting point (that no one actually routinely operated at) or an altitude range?
Well, operations around a carrier are at sea level especially (obviously) take off and landing but also any dive bomb and torpedo attacks. I think generally it is from base level of the sea up to an altitude where the thinning of the air affects engine output or aerodynamics. Anyone from Bristol in UK will tell you the sea isnt actually level, it goes up and down by around 14 meters.

I suspect when ones mind is concentrating on his target, or finding a target, he doesn't hear the ping. I remember men firing the M-1 on the range pull the trigger once more after the clip ejection. In fact, I think I have done it on a civilian range.

It's why a lot of bolt action rifles have a hold open feature where the floor plate will stop the bolt from closing after the last cartridge is fired. In the stress of combat a soldier might just keep cycling and dry firing his gun after it's empty.

I had to give the laugh thingy, no offense intended - I am deaf because of that sh*t.
And if you ever want to feel the word of God in your face/eardrums/sternum, try an 8mm Mauser rifle.
It'll make an M1 Garand feel like plinking with a .22 rifle.

I have a Yugo battlefield pickup K98. Never thought it kicked that bad. At least compared to a mosin nagant. But I also reload for it with lighter bullets.

The Schmidt Rubin G11 is my all time favorite though

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back