The Star of Africa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ghostdancer

Airman
Oct 6, 2007
Lakeside, Arizona
My pardon if there's already a discussion on this, and I've been away for quite awhile. I am now reading The Star Of Africa by Colin D. Heaton and Anne-Marie Lewis about the German ace in Africa Hans Joachim Marseille. This guy was a rouge, but very good with a fighter plane just like Greg Boyington, but sounds less abrasive. He would actually fly over an enemy airfield to drop a note on the fate of the pilots he shot down, not to rub it in their face, but just to inform them out of chivalry.

Last edited:
Greetings Ghostdancer;

I have several book about this German pilot.

But unfortunately they all end in a similar way................... :rolleyes:

Yes, you may haps you be right. He war a Rogue, but he was also a natural born pilot.

Have a good one,

Mike

If I'm correct I read that during time where he was stationed in Germany for punishment he would take out his 109F-4 and train himself on becoming a better deflection shooter and how to be able to use the 109 in a turn fight against Spitfires, Hurricanes and P40.

I know no one would ever really truly know for sure, but from what I've read on him, he could have been the best pilot in the Luftwaffe if not the best in history. He taught himself deflection shooting to such great effectiveness that he would sometimes shoot an enemy down when he couldn't even see the plane below his own planes nose. Also the simple fact he learned how to actually turn with a Spitfire using his landing flaps at a lower speed.

Impressive pilot indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back