The Weather Where You Live?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moved down to Jaipur. Still hot and suny at around 43C/109F few more clouds today though.

Wow, i couldn't imagine even sitting in that heat never mind working. Hope they have good aircon!

There is aircon inside but since I'm on holiday I'm out and about in the heat. It's not been too bad for the most part.

Yes and very proud if it.:salute:
And so you should be sir :salute: What did you think of merry olde England? My father lived a stones throw away from Polebrook. He he was only a boy but would run errands and help out and such when the US 97th first arrived. He told me how he watched them lengthen the runway (originally is was very short, even though RAF crews tested B-17's there. But obviously in combat a longer runway was needed. At that time rationing was hitting hard in the UK, but he often spoke of how generous the US crewman were (especially with candy, chewing gum and lucky strikes) He also (from a distance) seen Clark Gable there. At least i think it was Polebrook. Its been a long time, my father died quite a few years ago now. But didnt Gable actually go on 4 or 5 combat missions himself?
Anyway, much respect to you sir.

And so you should be sir :salute: What did you think of merry olde England? My father lived a stones throw away from Polebrook. He he was only a boy but would run errands and help out and such when the US 97th first arrived. He told me how he watched them lengthen the runway (originally is was very short, even though RAF crews tested B-17's there. But obviously in combat a longer runway was needed. At that time rationing was hitting hard in the UK, but he often spoke of how generous the US crewman were (especially with candy, chewing gum and lucky strikes) He also (from a distance) seen Clark Gable there. At least i think it was Polebrook. Its been a long time, my father died quite a few years ago now. But didnt Gable actually go on 4 or 5 combat missions himself?
Anyway, much respect to you sir.
Thank you for the kind words. I can only say good things about the treatment I received from the friendly people in England. A family invited me to join them at there neighborhood Pub and that was special. That evening the owner gave me a standing invitation to stop in any time following my visit with the family and that was even more special. We had been instructed not to go in the neighborhood pubs when on leave.

Clark Gable did go on 4 or 5 missions as stated.

Thank you for the kind words. I can only say good things about the treatment I received from the friendly people in England. A family invited me to join them at there neighborhood Pub and that was special. That evening the owner gave me a standing invitation to stop in any time following my visit with the family and that was even more special. We had been instructed not to go in the neighborhood pubs when on leave.

Clark Gable did go on 4 or 5 missions as stated.
Quite. There has been a lot of negative press about when the yanks arrived (pardon the pun). But the people i have interviewed who were there at the time give a very good account of US personnel during their time in England. I for one appreciate the sacrifices and bravery of any man that answers the call to duty. Especially when defending another country, or the liberation of another country. I think a lot of it was to do with English servicemen overseas being a little paranoid/jealous. Many forget that being a bomber crew in 42/43 was the most dangerous job in the armed forces. It takes guts to climb into a bomber day after day or night after night knowing each mission could be your last. My hat is off to all airforce personnel.

Quite. There has been a lot of negative press about when the yanks arrived (pardon the pun). But the people i have interviewed who were there at the time give a very good account of US personnel during their time in England. I for one appreciate the sacrifices and bravery of any man that answers the call to duty. Especially when defending another country, or the liberation of another country. I think a lot of it was to do with English servicemen overseas being a little paranoid/jealous. Many forget that being a bomber crew in 42/43 was the most dangerous job in the armed forces. It takes guts to climb into a bomber day after day or night after night knowing each mission could be your last. My hat is off to all airforce personnel.

I couldn't agree more, well stated.

Oh, it's a the same damn 85F and sunny here today again.

Not sunshine hot, but humidity has been off the scale over weekend. Cooler today though thankfully. Im seriously considering doing a raindance. What i wouldnt give for a huge thunderstorm right now.....
13c with a humidity of 77%. And that's low considering how it's been lately :angry4:
Another story I would like to share that impressed this young Bombardier. Shortly after VE-Day I was reassigned to the 385th Bomb Group, at Great Ashfield. While there, about a month before coming home, I experienced something that I often think about. An elderly couple living in a thatched roof home near the base provided personalized services for us. This kind gentleman would dress in his badly worn tuxedo and volunteer as a "maitre d" at the Officers Mess Hall every evening. His charming wife provided laundry service for a number of us. Their commitment was greatly appreciated by all.

It was a sunny and very warm day. 23°C. But the temperature is getting down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back