The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Are you sure it's not the Afghan Hind, at Duxford?
It's certainly at Duxford, with the former Swedish Firefly in the background, and Hind rescued from former Afghan Air Force is 'parked' in this spot normally, awaiting restoration.

It is a Gannet, part of the permanent exhibits in this particular hangar, with the front section being items ready for restoration.
And it is the 'Afghan Hind' - I have one of my own pics of it, from a different angle, where the original camouflage paint can be clearly seen.
Let Jim have it though, as the Hind is a derivative of the Fury.

Oh I think we should stick to the rules. If it is not a Fury, then I guessed wrong. Just like an A-36 Apache is not a Mustang. You have it Terry my friend.

No mate. Grampa posted it thinking it was a Fury (which is almost correct), and you answered with Fury, so you take it.
Not going to argue over small details, otherwise we'd be in a situation where we'd want specific answers, such as Mk1A series ii/c-4 model D, batch 43291/A etc etc !!!

No mate. Grampa posted it thinking it was a Fury (which is almost correct), and you answered with Fury, so you take it.
Not going to argue over small details, otherwise we'd be in a situation where we'd want specific answers, such as Mk1A series ii/c-4 model D, batch 43291/A etc etc !!!

And what's wrong with that? :lol: But seriously, I must humbly disagree. Not to get as granular as you make example of above, but certainly we should count the correct NAME as the correct GUESS. My 2 cents anyway, but let's move on. (Let the Klingon High Council argue this out!) Much respect.

I will post tonight...hopefully

Try this odd duck:

crop.jpg

Can't remember what it's called, or a number, but it's the tilt-wing twin experimental, from the 1960s, grandfather to the Osprey.
EDIT: And I believe it was a Fairchild prototype.

Last edited:
Chase YC-122C tilt wing modified by Hiller as X-18 with major props to Terry (who should get the next pic if I'm right)

Last edited:
The one I'm thinking of, and I have a pic of it somewhere, I think ended up as a joint venture, maybe Hiller, Chance-Vought-Ling- Temco. I can see it, but blowed if I can remember it's designation - been years since I last saw the pic.

It is the Chase YC-122 Avitruc, but it did not have tilt wings as I know it. That was the Hiller mod after the fact. Good to you, who ever guessed it!

EDIT: Sorry forgot the pictures...

Chase_YC-122C_Avitruc.jpg

And the Hiller mod...

Hiller_X-18_ground.jpg

And Terry there isn't much to chose between the Hiller and the LTV XC-124 (the one you were thinking of) so you were pretty spot on. What's an engine or two between friends?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back