The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its stance ...thought it was on floats to start with !... and it looks like it has an un-cowled / semi-cowled radial at the pointy end (that's if you can have a radial on a pointy end ??) reminds me very much of a Rearwin Sportster ?

Good on you Gary, hic! No dice on the plane front though, at least you're having a go! I thought someone might have gotten this by now.

It might....just might possibly....with a bit of stretch of the imagination, be what I knew it was all along...lying toad :) ...

Methinks its a Portfield 35 Flyabout (based on the Wyandotte Pup !)

I could say nope because you spelt it wrong :D, but... Tadahhh!

Porterfield 35/70:

ZK-PORs_zps330ff0e7.jpg

Just as an aside, the Pup reporduction in the background of this shot now has 'Royal' connections; Prince Wills' bottom graced its seat the day before yesterday on his royal tour of En Zed, whilst his wife looked on.

Last edited:
The owner of that crate should be mighty proud (I wonder if they'll hang a plaque on it?)

Probably. :) It's the first Pfeifer Sopwith Scout built in the USA in the 60s, but came to NZ in 2007 I think, and has been modified a bit to make it look more like a genuine Pup.

A6192s_zpsbee29a9f.jpg

It is decorated as A6192 "Peggy N.Z.", the mount of New Zealander 2/Lt Malcolm Charles 'Mac' McGregor of 54 Sqn, RFC.

I'm noticing a distinctly Brit line of reasoning on this stellar one.

However, its not a Vulcan...they have big cast ones !...nor is it a Valiant or a Sea vixen.

Nice one Gary. You're right, the Comet airliner has a sleek beauty about it. Having a closer look at the image of the undercarriage, I can see a Lightning and Buccaneer in the background and in the one of the whole of Canopus I can see a Sea Vixen and the Bucc.

Here's one.

whatiii_zpsf39c6588.jpg

Ah, a landing lamp! Don't know what type it's attached to though, but it's relatively fast, given the airfoil section. Perhaps a Canberra ?
Is that a Sea Vixen, right of the Comet's nose, as Grant suggested, or is it a Bronco ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back