The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was thinking it was a Mosquito. I don't chime in on these things (ignorance) but, between reading another thread AND the various posts and links, I looked at the pic and thought that was a Mosquito. I was looking at the inside of a tube. I didn't realize how much I learned here.
I hate learning.

Not a B XX
Extract from "Mosquito Portfolia" Stuart Howe, published in 1984.
I have removed the models for which there is more than one surviving and added the final column.

Mark NoSerialCountryLocationRemarks (1984)Status 2021
PrototypeW4050GBLondon, Colney, HertsEx-E0234, now displayed yellow overallOn Display
NFIIHJ711GBYorkRebuild using parts from PF498/VA878On Display
PRIXLR480South AfricaJohannesburgDisplayedOn Display
PRXVINS631AustraliaMildura, VictoriaStored, unconfirmed report that it has been movedUnder restoration
BXXKB336CanadaRockcliffe. OntarioDisplayedOn Display
FB26KA114CanadaRichmond, BCStored, in poor conditionAirworthy
NF30RK952BelgiumBrusselsDisplayed in War MuseumOn Display
PR41A52-210AustraliaLidcombe, SydneyRebuilding, ex-VH-WADOn Display
FB40A52-19New ZealandArdmore, AucklandRebuilding, ex-NZ2305, converted T43On Display

All transmit/receive and audio amplifier equipment used vacuum tubes during the war.
Think this device (whatever it is) is from a post-WW2 USAF jet. BTW... US used tubes up until the mid-1980s, partly for that anti-jamming reason. I know, I have a lot of tubes in my inventory. For guitar and audio amps.

Russians and Chinese continue to use tubes in some of their avionics.

FB26?

Wuzak - I am going to give it to you for sheer determination.
It was a PR XVI. NS631 / A52-600
This one. The photo was taken in Wodonga, Victoria, Australia around October 1983.
A few years later it was "swapped" for a C-47 and a few P-51 wings. The swapping was done by one of the three owners without the consent of the other two owners.

Users who are viewing this thread