The Worst Battlefield of WWII

What was the Worst Battlefield of WWII?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most members agree with you Adler, acording to the poll results. However, size of the battle does not necessarily mean the worst conditions or ordeals for battle. I am very much in the minority, but I believe there were more of an ordeal at a personal level than Stalingrad. Though Stalingrad, according to my father was hell on earth

Yeah my Grandfather was in Stalingrad. Unfortunately he is no longer with us today.

I agree with you though, I find it hard to place one battle over another, especially when one takes into account the effects they have on men.

Kollaa River Line and Battle of Tolvajarvi, fireteams and squads vs companies, companies vs battalions, battalions vs regiments, regiments vs divisions, divisions vs corps all fought near the arctic circle in the coldest winter since 1828!

Kohima and Monte Cassino were grim to say the least and would get my vote.
Lots of others mentioned on land,at sea or in the air were no less dreadful. No such thing as a nice battle!

Rzhev?

Lasted a year and cost over a million cassualties...

I did vote for Stalingrad though.

How about 19 July 1940? Being stuck in the gun turret of a burning Boulton Paul Defiant as it spirals uncontrollably toward the ground? You can't turn the turret 90 degress to open the hatch at the back to get out because the hydraulic pump's been shot to pieces and the turret's jammed; your only way out is by crawling through a hole in the bottom of the turret big enough only for a small puppy to get through that leads into the rear fuselage, in the belly of which is an equally small orifice covered by an oval hatch. Dressed in a big sack nick-named the Rhino Suit, which is wrapped around you like a blanket that houses your parachute and inflateable dinghy, you know there's no way of squeezing through that impossibly small gap.

Did I mention the aircraft was on fire and plunging helplessly toward the ground because your pilot was killed in the first pass of a schwarm of over thirty Bf 109s that attacked your formation of nine Defiants crewed by airmen without an ounce of combat experience between you all?

As tongues of flame lick away at the outside of the turret, having already engulfed the cockpit ahead of you, in a fit of desperation you fumble with the latch of the holster of your Webley revolver...

Last edited:
I'm not really sure I can rate which battlefield was the worst. Each theater of operation had its own demons. That being said, I would like to say that the Eastern Front and the Pacific Front were overall intolerable. Stalingrad comes to mind, and after reading Eugene Sledges memoirs and other sources, Peleliu was its own hell. Still, like I said, I cannot rate what was the worst overall.

I see just about everybody agreed with me it would have to be Stalingrad, regardless of whether or not you were German or Russian. Horrible conditions, both sides brutal beyond belief, common soldiers just as likely to be shot by their own officers as the enemy, just nasty - as would the entre East Front have been.

The North Atlantic conveys at the height of the U boat campaign must feature in a poll of hellish situations. Being a sitting duck on a tanker? Jeez....

On the other hand, being under a destroyer attack for hours on end would be terrifying as well.

True enough. But, the civilian status of the merchant marine vessel crew makes them a special case in my opinion.
Along with Bomber Command we have taken a long time to put up memorials to remind people of the incredible sacrifices made....

My Mothers Uncle was a Merchant Mariner in tankers and a teetotal Methodist but apparently every time he came home from a convoy he went on a bender drinking till he collapsed. My mother said one time he was brought home on a door by 2 friends from his chapel, nothing was said even by the minister it was his way of dealing with the stress of working on a 100 octane bomb and everyone understood.

Peleliu. Highest causality rate of any battle fought in the Pacific. Fought in a baking volcanic moonscape by the 1st Marine Division. All the hard nuts went to the 1st Marine. And finally, no reason for the battle in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back