This site is...maybe not such a good thing ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
LOL, Ok a few of you were interested in a post I made about my Uncle flying Mossies, well over the last few days I have tore my basement apart looking for his obit so I could post some more details of what he did during and after the war. My WD thinks I'm a whack job but after 18 years I'm not surprised, any ways here it is for those who are interested.

A contingent of R.A.F. personnel acted as pallbearers at Longburton for the funeral service and interment of Wing Commander Ian Lachlan Hunter Ramage. D.F.M., R.A.F., a wartime Pathfinder with Bomber Command, of The Old House, Longburton.

Wing Commander Ramage, a serving officer whose final post was on the staff of the Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Central Europe, until taken ill last year,he was 54.

A Scotsman, Wing Commander Ramage was the eldest son of the late Mr. W. H. Ramage and of Mrs. K. Ramage, who lives in Vancouver, Canada.

He joined the Royal Air Force on 30th August, 1938, as an aircraft apprentice at R.A.F. Halton, and on leaving there became an aircraft fitter. He re-mustered and became a navigator in 1943. He was commissioned on 11th December , 1944. He was commissioned on 11th December, 1944. Wing Commander Ramage served in South Africe, flew in Mosquitos as a Pathfinder with Bomber Command and was awarded the D.F.M on 27th Februarty, 1945.

Since the end of the war he had served on a number of Bomber Command squadrons and became an instrtor at the Manby Bombing School

In Germany

He also served with Nos. 59 and 16 Squadrons of the 2nd Allied Tactical
Air Force in Germany. In 1959 Wing Commander Ramage attended the Army Staff College, Camberly, and this was followed by a tour of duty at the Ministry of Defence until 1963, when he returned to the Army at Sandhurst as a staff officer at the Royal Military Academy.

In 1966 he attended the United States Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Virginia, and the following year was O.C. of the Operations Wing at Laarbruck, Germany.

Two years later he became the chief instructor at the Officers' Training School, Ternhill. Then in 1973 he joined the staff of the United Kingdom Military Representative to the Military Committee at N.A.T.O. Headquarters, in Brussells. He stayed there until 1975 when he joined the staff of the Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Central Europe. While serving there he was taken ill last year and returned othe the United Kingdom.

I am trying to find out more. My cousin in England told me "oh Daddy never talked about the war" but on the two occaisions that I met him he told me about his flying days during the war, nothing specific but more stories of his mates and their hijinks, mind you, I was a kid and I'm sure the stories were tempered some what. My Cousin is as curious as I am about his military career. My other uncle who passed away last September at 79 was kind of like a father to me. I know far more about his days that he refeered to as the happiest days of his life, Angus was indeed a character, I miss him, especially now that it is Christmas !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back