Too Little, Too Late - The B-32 Dominator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
That it was to look like a B-26 or this is what they had actually invisioned when they thought up the B-24?

I think they invisioned the B-24 to look like the B-36 prototype (it had a twin tail) Ruebin Fleet pushed his design team to get the -24 out the door asap. Because of this compromises were made, especially in the fuselage design. Ever hear the saying "The B-24 is the box the B-17 came in?"

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Exactly and since it was pushed out so quickly is where the problems came into effect such as the wings and so forth.

Yep - and it seems similar things happened on the B-32 but I think in the long run it would of been a formatible bomber. Could you imangine B-32s over Germany in the fall of 1944?

Ive always thought the B-32 and B-36 look very similar. If you look at pictures of the very first B-32's with their glazed nose and the very first B-36's glazed nose you will see they are nearly identical. As a side note the B-32 originally came with twin tails, this proved unstable. A B-32 was then tried with a B-29 tail and was also unstable resulting in the 19 or so foot monster tail production versions came with.

Its mentioned in the book but there are more pictures of the XB-32 with the twin tails and the B-29 tail available on the internet.

Attachments

• xb32_4_small_189.jpg
    xb32_4_small_189.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 497
  • b32_3_small_107.jpg
    b32_3_small_107.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 516
  • xb32_1_small_178.jpg
    xb32_1_small_178.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 495
It looks a little more "sane" with that B-29 tail, although I like the XB-32 with twin tails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back