Top producing Aircraft Factories of Various Nations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Conslaw

Senior Airman
Jan 22, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
I was reading that the FW-190 was produced (final assembly) in something like 5 different factories, and I believe the bF-109 was at least as many. The Corsair, Mustang and Thunderbolt were each produced in two or three. All Hellcats were produced in one factory. I'm wondering what factory produced the most fighters in WWII for each country, and really not just #1 but any interesting production statistics people run across. Over time, feel free to post in this thread any interesting production figures you come across.

Castle Bromwich factory in Birmingham produced 12,129 Spitfires plus 300 Lancasters. Production was very slow to start and build up then in late 1940 and 41 the Blitz cost production, in 1943 some production had to be moved to other factories when a bomb hit the factory.

The Avro factory in Chadderton Manchester produced the greatest weight of aircraft in Britain 2,978 Lancasters and 202 Manchesters.

In terms of airframe weight the top dogs in the US were Consolidated-Vultee San Diego and Boeing Seattle. In terms of units produced the top dogs were Grumman and Curtiss-Wright Buffalo with about 17,600 aircraft each.

Canadian Car and Foundry in what is now Thunder Bay Ontario built some 1400 Hurricanes and 834 Helldivers

14845626239_590569e6b7_b.jpg

2980_assembly_line_620.jpg

A side note on the Fw190 manufacturing sites - there were more than 5.

Ago in Oschersleben.
Arado in Tutow and Warnemunde.
Feisler in Kassel.
Focke-Wulf in Aslau, Bremen, Cottbus, Marienburg and Sorau.
Mimetall in Erfurt.
Norddeutsche Dornier in Wismar.
Weserflug in Templehof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back