Toughest to shoot down (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ralphwiggum

Airman
Mar 15, 2008
Which American 4 engine bomber did the "Sturmbock" fliers find was the hardest to destroy
The B-24 or B-17? I've gotten the impression that with their 30 mm canons, it was easy to kill either one
I just can't believe that! That's why I'm asking you folks. you know FAR more than me!

I think it's generally accepted that the B-17 could take more punishment than the B-24; I would argue that a well-placed salvo from a battery of 30mm cannons renders the question academic. The B-17's toughness could be the factor that got it home when a B-24 would've gone down.

Most photographic evidence I've seen of B-24s being shot down seem to depict the aircraft's main spar folding up. Photographic evidence of B-17s returning seem to depict shot-up aircraft that defied the laws of physics in staying in the air long enough to get the crew home - there were more bits missing than present.

I stick to my original point though, a well-placed salvo from a battery of 30mm cannons, usually, was enough to finish off either aircraft.

The B-24's Wing was probably its biggest weakness. Though designed for low drag and high speed, it was relatively weak compaired to the B-17.

From Wiki
The placement of the B-24's fuel tanks throughout the upper fuselage and its lightweight construction, designed to increase range and optimize assembly line production, made the aircraft vulnerable to battle damage.The B-24 was notorious among American aircrews for its tendency to catch fire, but it nevertheless provided excellent service in a variety of roles thanks to its large payload and long range.

I would say the B-17 was more resilent towards battle damage, but as Colin1 said, a well-placed salvo from a battery of 30mm (even 20mm) was enough to bring down a bomber.

Many German fighter pilots claimed that the -17 was a lot tougher opponent than the -24...

Willi Reschke made several statements regarding this in his book, and after shootin out the tail gunner, he would aim for the wingroots...

Also, when approaching from above, his first salvo was aimed at the wing root...

The -24 was alot easier to bring down, that much is fact, but agree with the gents above, 30mm Minen rounds dont care what u are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back