Training Aircraft used in 1940 at FTS in England

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Biggles44

Recruit
Mar 8, 2016
Would anyone happen to know what Aircraft were used at no 10 Flying Training School at RAF Tern Hill Shropshire during 1940. The pilot I am researching has just 'come off 'Tiger Moth's' at No. 1 EFTS at RAF Hatfield around May 1940. ?

Would anyone happen to know what Aircraft were used at no 10 Flying Training School at RAF Tern Hill Shropshire during 1940. The pilot I am researching has just 'come off 'Tiger Moth's' at No. 1 EFTS at RAF Hatfield around May 1940. ?

Harvards, according to this Ternhill

According to the War Cabinet paper (attached, 1st file), dated 1 July 1940, the "Service Flying Training Schools" were using either Harvards (presumably Mk Is) or Miles Masters (also attached):

Attachments

• Royal_Air_Force_Training_1940.pdf
    658 KB · Views: 135
  • Miles Master I 1939.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
  • First RAF Harvard 1939.pdf
    847.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Flying Training School RAF 1940.pdf
    613.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I am most grateful to you for the info and attachments. The attachments especially! what a hive of information.
Now I can move onto the squadron research. Reasonably easy as I know the chap only flew Mk 1 and II Hurricanes
and came off flying duties in 1942.
Thank you again for your invaluable help.

I am most grateful to you for the info and attachments. The attachments especially! what a hive of information.
Now I can move onto the squadron research. Reasonably easy as I know the chap only flew Mk 1 and II Hurricanes
and came off flying duties in 1942.
Thank you again for your invaluable help.

Aw, shucks! I enjoy doing the research and passing it on: the Cabinet Papers: Browse by theme and Browse Flight's archive of Historic Aviation are mines of information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back