TRAITOR!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And I will say without doubt, if the same situation existed in reverse (A former RAAF pilot who became a US citizen and then went to China to train members of their military in violation of ITAR laws for example) that individual would be extradited back to their former country in a NY minute!!!!

Reading the article (I read Reuters which has comparable sources and coverage - regardless of private or corporate ownership) clearly stated the law(s) violated and when the law restricting military exchange was enacted (2010, by the way) and the fact that the asshat had a Beiijing residence as well as one in Australia and the U.S.

He was an Australia citizen and even though renounced his U.S. citizenship, is still legally a U.S. citizen.

Providing his knowledge of carrier air proceedure to a potential enemy is an act of treason - this not only enables an improvement of Chinese carrier doctrine, but provides the Chinese information on USN/USMC ops.

Hang the MoFo.

There are many "if"s, "but"s and "maybe"s in this scenario...

I'm afraid that he was / is a political activist , and said something that guys in high place, didn't like it... So they decided to disappear him, once and for all...

Same happened for Iranian Air Force F-14 Tomcat #3-6062 ... It was blown up to pieces by HAWK missiles on January 25, 2013.

Or:

Some extremists have harassed his family, and executed his family / kind ...

Again, this happened for Iranian Air Force, during war, the extremists have hanged the brother of one of pilots for no reason... This, and several other incidents, like this, caused him to flee to Iraq, with an F-4. [Hopefully he got what he deserved, executed]

I do not support whatever he has done, just trying to mention that we [generally speaking, anyone else, except himself] don't know "EVERYTHING" about this case, either by direct order of regime, or just what the journalists have selected, or simply himself didn't talk, for one reason or another...

Anyway, I won't be surprised if I ever hear about political activities of military servicemen, ex or current.

Two other things come in mind, are money and women ... Just saying, anyone has weakness!!!

There is no other explanation for what he has done.

W ww2restorer ...

Just talking about tomcats, in contract between Iran and US, it was mentioned to not put tomcats in direct danger, and not use them in front lines, unless necessary...

Regime changed and other stories, no need of repeating them, but Iranian Air Force, remained loyal and never used them unlike the contract.

This was between a company and an air force of two different nations...

He has done something that he shouldn't do, under any circumstances...

Whatever happens to him, or his family, is his own fault.

Regarding the oath, personally, I saw and was exposed to things while I had Top Secret clearance in 60-61 which since has been published and some info in the manuals recently posted in the forum. I was uncomfortable when aviation buddys talked about such things over the years and still don't mention what I saw although now it is common knowledge.

my my, you get upset early! At the time he was not in the US service. Why is it that most Americans think that they command the laws in other countries.

An American officer who has resigned his commission may still be recalled to active duty for the express purpose of military prosecution of federal violations that occurred after his own resignation -- especially when it comes to revealing classified information, which flight procedures for American aircraft most certainly are (at the minimum, they're held to be confidential, and often held in higher secrecy).

If he was a US citizen at the time he was doing the training, then ITAR applies to his actions then. Changing nationalities in the meantime doesn't in any way erase a crime committed earlier. I worked in the defense industry for 42 years and we had it drummed into us that any kind of technology transfer, not just military stuff, has to be specifically approved by the State Department. I sincerely hope this pilot is convicted and given a hefty sentence and fine because there are far too many people willing to ignore what they consider to be excessive government "nuisance" regulations if it makes their own job easier or pays them more money. If people don't like a particular law like this, then they need to talk to their Congressional representatives about trying to change it. Until and unless they do, they have to be held accountable if they simply choose to break it instead.

Something else...

I don't think that the Chinese would ever dare to do such high risk activities, publicly...specially with recent events ongoing... They have some of best hackers, and have easy access to the deep web... Pretty sure, it's way safer to look for those things, there, for both sides.

His/his wife's arguments re being an Australian citizen also will get them nowhere as Australia has its own Defence Trade Controls Act 2012 which was put in place as part of the Australia-US Defence Trade Cooperation Treaty back in 2012 that covers ITAR controlled items as well. People also need to remember that this laws also cover what is termed intangibles (thus things such as knowledge transfer without any physical product being transferred/involved). At the end of the day it will be up to him to prove that (or more likely defend) that he did not transfer/share any knowledge that could be controlled information. It's one thing to train about how to fly in general but anything such as tactics or more sensitive knowledge will see him in trouble.

Something else...

I don't think that the Chinese would ever dare to do such high risk activities, publicly...specially with recent events ongoing... They have some of best hackers, and have easy access to the deep web... Pretty sure, it's way safer to look for those things, there, for both sides.
There are things that you can hack/steal and then there are things that can only be gained through personal interaction. I can give you a flight manual but you really need the instructor to teach you to fly let alone fly combat missions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back