Transport museum, The Netherlands

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
11,648
6,762
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Location
Holland
Website
www.redbeatband.nl
Went to the transportmuseum here in Nieuw-Vennep. To my positive surprise they had a DC2, which I could even enter and take photographs on the inside. I've added a few more photo's of aircraft there, including the Catalina that is being restored to display level in the workshop. One particular non-aircraft item that was interesting was the Super Bus, a big 15m long electric vehicle, with a cruise-speed of 250 kph!! There was also an exhibition about May 1940 and I thought the copy of a photograph taken at Rotterdam Airport Waalhaven was interesting. The text translates to:

Taken by my father during the war, over Waalhaven, 2 Fokker G.1 aircraft fighting the Germans
20220618_0179.jpg
20220618_0180.jpg
20220618_0184.jpg
20220618_0186.jpg
20220618_0187.jpg
20220618_0189.jpg
20220618_0190.jpg
20220618_0199.jpg
20220618_0205.jpg
20220618_0209.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice!
 
Went to the transportmuseum here in Nieuw-Vennep. To my positive surprise they had a DC2, which I could even enter and take photographs on the inside. I've added a few more photo's of aircraft there, including the Catalina that is being restored to display level in the workshop. One particular non-aircraft item that was interesting was the Super Bus, a big 15m long electric vehicle, with a cruise-speed of 250 kph!! There was also an exhibition about May 1940 and I thought the copy of a photograph taken at Rotterdam Airport Waalhaven was interesting. The text translates to:


View attachment 674429View attachment 674430View attachment 674431View attachment 674432View attachment 674433View attachment 674434View attachment 674435View attachment 674436View attachment 674438View attachment 674439
Marcel, I was prepared to be pleasantly entertained by seeing the aircraft in a museum I was not aware of, but I was stunned to see that the facility had produced a facsimile of the North American NA-27. This was a unique fixed gear model based on the NA-26, which was the prototype for the retractable gear variants, such as the BC-1, NA-44, T-6, Harvard etc. They both had an odd forward canted rear sliding canopy, unlike any of the other members of the NA-16 family. Unfortunately, the NA-27 was destroyed in a German air raid at Texel, in 1940. I am going to attempt my first photo attachments, to show what the original looked like. Cheers, mate!
 

Attachments

  • NA-27 KL destroyed.jpg
    NA-27 KL destroyed.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 114
  • NA-27 port.jpg
    NA-27 port.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 133
Marcel, I was prepared to be pleasantly entertained by seeing the aircraft in a museum I was not aware of, but I was stunned to see that the facility had produced a facsimile of the North American NA-27. This was a unique fixed gear model based on the NA-26, which was the prototype for the retractable gear variants, such as the BC-1, NA-44, T-6, Harvard etc. They both had an odd forward canted rear sliding canopy, unlike any of the other members of the NA-16 family. Unfortunately, the NA-27 was destroyed in a German air raid at Texel, in 1940. I am going to attempt my first photo attachments, to show what the original looked like. Cheers, mate!
Yes indeed. I was wondering if anyone would pickup that rare model and you did. One of the magazines I get had a special about the aircraft a few weeks ago. Good info and thanks for the photos.
 
Marcel, I was prepared to be pleasantly entertained by seeing the aircraft in a museum I was not aware of, but I was stunned to see that the facility had produced a facsimile of the North American NA-27. This was a unique fixed gear model based on the NA-26, which was the prototype for the retractable gear variants, such as the BC-1, NA-44, T-6, Harvard etc. They both had an odd forward canted rear sliding canopy, unlike any of the other members of the NA-16 family. Unfortunately, the NA-27 was destroyed in a German air raid at Texel, in 1940. I am going to attempt my first photo attachments, to show what the original looked like. Cheers, mate!
The NA-27 (997) was located near 'Burst' farm at the Slufterweg(road) in polder Eierland in the vicinity of Texel airfield 'De Vlijt', and was destroyed by Messerschmitt Bf 110s around 5:15 p.m. on May 11, 1940. The original photo of the wreckage is in a photo album of 1st Lt J.A. ten Broek, which is now part of the collection of the Aviation and War Museum Texel.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back