Tripple 7, unit of US fliers, fighting in Russia during WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I got this e-mail from an American friend of mine today.
Have you ever heard about it?:shock:
The article is too long, so I had to divide it in 2 parts:

So here is the part # 1:

In the summer of 1941, when President Roosevelt signed off for a volunteer group of American fighter pilots to fight the Japanese in China. But with unfailed secrecy, the President had also authorized a second American Volunteer Group . . to ' head for ' Russia.
The Central Aircraft Manufacturing Corp (CAMCO) was used as a front for the second AVG group about to fly their fighters from Las Vegas, Nevada to Russia. Each would receive $500 for each Nazi aircraft they could bring down.
FDR's secrecy was shattered, when a reporter working in Rangoon for Time, reported P-40s and American fighter pilots arriving in Burma, presumably for combat.
Although there was no mention of the Russia-bound AVGs . . Time magazine's breaking the news of his strategic, secret move greatly worried
the President. And he feared an international diplomatic backlash and/or an investigation from Congress. In an effort to confuse the press and our enemies abroad, he continued to maintain the American Volunteer Group operation in Russia as a top secret project. And the fighter pilots preparing for their trip to Russia were given a set of false orders assigning them to March Air Base in Riverside, California . . half a world away from there purposeful destination.
The decades of secrecy surrounding the American Volunteer Group in Russia, rendered historians mere fragments of information. Aviation historian Everett Long, noted : " The Triple 7's . . unlike the Flying Tigers . . had so little written about them over the past fifty years it appears as if the squadron never even existed."
In August 1941, Army Air Corps Colonel Jason Williams signed a contract with CAMCO to lead the new group. Williams and CAMCO executives then visited bases throughout the U.S. to recruit pilots. Finding volunteers was not difficult considering the mission's importance and monetary bonus.
In September 1941, the eager volunteers began training in their Warhawks and Airacobras at a military airstrip near the small gambling town of Las Vegas. Following the War Department's careful plan of deception, these pilots were assigned to the 77th Pursuit Squadron of the 7th Air Force.
A young pilot in the squadron quickly realized the irony of 77 plus 7 and he reminded Col. Williams of the slot machines they had seen in town. He also reminded him that ' seven ' was a lucky number, then showed him his crude sketch of Red, White and Blue 7's for an insignia. Colonel Williams ordered
the insignia to be painted on each aircraft.
In November 1941, the unit began the long journey to the Soviet Union as the squadron flew north from Nevada to Canada, then to Ladd Field near Nome.
Their route would later be come well-known as ' The Air Bridge.' And thousands of U.S. Lend-Lease aircraft would follow the 77th's path.
The pilots of the 77th, flew into Siberia. During the first dangerous flight beyond the Bering Strait, two of the aircraft developed mechanical problems and they crashed in Siberia. Neither pilot was seen again.
For the next 3 1/2 years, the Triple 7 fought in every major battle on the Germans' Eastern Front.
The AVG spent most of their combat time in P-40's and P-39's. But later in the war, the Triple 7's were given surplus USAAF P-47's and P-51's that were ferried up from Italy.
Untitled 109 Interestingly, the AVG never adopted the much improved Bell P-63 KingCobra fighter that the Soviets loved so much.
Their American-built fighters did well for them. As a side benefit, they were able to lay their hands on a few Soviet-built fighters to fly and to fight.
As the only American unit operating within the Soviet, our War Department
used the espionage opportunity to inspect the design, materials, and workman-ship of Soviet fighters. The Triple 7's leaders were then able to convince several corrupt Soviet commanders to swap surplus or damaged Russian fighters in exchange for whatever it required in cases of expensive liquor, or actual bribes in U.S. dollars.
After interpreting the Soviet aircraft operating manuals, the skilled grease monkeys of the 77th were able to repair the Russian fighters, then fly them
on their combat missions. And by the end of 1943, the AVG had several types of Russian fighters in operation.
Beginning in early 1943, Soviet-built . .
- Lavochkin [ nickname : varnished guaranteed coffin ]
- Yak [ nickname : Rata-rat ]
- Ilyushins [ nickname : flying infantryman ]
were all used in combat sorties by the 77th pilots.
After they had arrived in Russia, the 77th AVG was posted to an airfield
on Moscow's outskirts, where they practiced aerial intercepts. Once they were deemed combat-ready by Soviet commanders, the AVG began Air Defense patrols in skies above Moscow.
The Triple 7's achieved their first aerial victory against the Germans, just prior to Pearl Harbor, by shooting down a German Ju-88 reconnaissance aircraft near Moscow. After several months defending the city, the 77th was ordered to help defend Stalingrad.
Without the loss of even pilots or aircraft, the Triple 7 had scored 27 aerial victories against the Germans. Although most of their kills had been against
' reccy ' aircraft or stray bombers, it was a good learning experience.
The German advance on Stalingrad was swift and deadly. And the Russian Air Force was forced to move east to the Volga to just to survive. The 77th
was also pulled back. In the intense air action that followed, the Triple 7's pilots battled against many of the Luftwaffe's greatest aces.
Their BF-109F and G models were far superior to the P-39 and P-40 and
they exacted a heavy toll from the AVG. Also, not in their best interest, the
newly manufactured Focke-Wulf 190's began sorties.

i knew that in ww2 the ussr had p-40s but i didn't know this

I am fairly certain that this claim is not legitimate. However, I have read that US Pilots did fly into Russia, generally on a ferry operations, after the entry of the US. They flew LL aircraft from Alaska, into somewhere in central siberia. I suspect, even that there was some form of conversion course going on, being run by the Americans.

The Alaskan route became increasingly important as an air ferry service route as the war progressed. A lot of Lend Lease also wa delivered to Russia by the Persian corridor, but this took a lot of time to develop. My friend, is a bit of a railway buff, and has a theory to explain the disastrous famines in India in 1943. There is an unexplainable drop in the amount of rolling stock in india in the early part of 1943. We think that this might be because a lot of it was transferred to Persia.Certainly the majority of the locos were of US manufacture, but it is not necessarily the case that the Americans provided the rolling stock in such proportions as well

IMO however, the greatest contribution of Lend lease was not the planes the tanks or even the trucks, but the food supplied to the SU. Enouigh food apparently to completely feed the Soviet army for more than two years. Think of how much manpower that freed, given that before and after the war the USSR could barely feed itself.

I also know that early in the war the british were strictly restricted to certain cities only, particulaly Murmansk. From memory, they established a Hurrican equipped unit there, along with a Hampden equipped unit . These units were severely restricted by the Soviets in what they were allowed to do, and where they were allowed to go. Soviets feared a Beourgoise (cant spell that freakin word) counter revolution almost as much as Nazi conquest. However, when the going really started to get tough for the Russians they started to make some very unreasonable demands on the English. For example they wanted the committment of 30 divs to the east front, something the british were quite unable to do.

Njaco:

Interesting pic of a fully equiped modern infantryman with an endomorphic body type. Very few people understand the advantages of the endomorph in modern combat scenarios.

'Roll rate has become an important criteria, just as it was for WWII fighter planes. Endomorph soldiers can move laterally, employing a rollling maneuver/tactic, much more effectively than mesomorph or ectomorph soldiers.

The overdeveloped steroid hyped mesomorph can now be employed properly, in a load bearing capacity.

This allocation of human resources is being studied closely by special operations forces. It may have particular application in a long term conflict which requires drafting soldiers from the general North American population which currently has a high rate of overweight/obesity.

Fortunately, most of our enemies do not have the resources (food) to achieve this effective modern combat form. I myself have been working on this for several years, but having an ectomorph body type, it has been a challenge.

I mean no offence to the youngster in the photo. I got my clock cleaned by a guy his size when I was his age so have nothing but respect.
:)

Claidemore

There was a conversion course going on but I believe it was up in Murmansk. If you read Hub Zemke's Autobiography, he says he was one of the pilots that did was up there. More a testing to make sure the airplanes flew ok and the Russians knew what everything meant.

He also notes that he chased (but did not catch) a DO17 in a P40.

Long and short, it is a good story but not accurate.

Quick question....were the LL aircraft supplied given Western, or russian dials and guages. Was this a problem....or were the russians given quick courses in how to read english.

I do know there was some confusion for the french (and theiur metric system) when given US Cash Carry equipment. There was some delay in the delivery of certain items, as the french insisted as much as practical on the fitment of french equipment (guns, gauges and the like), I wonder if there was any of that in the Soviet receipts of LL (including British lend Lease, the hurris, Spits, and others)

Lend Lease aircraft had American/British gauges. Once the first guy had them figured out, he simply instructed the new pilots, 'warm up the engine till this gauge reads here, max dive speed is here, landing speed is here etc. They didn't have to be able to read English, they just had to know that if the temperature got to a certain point on the gauge, the engine was going to be toast.

There was quite a bit of cross-national use of equipment. Photojournalists of all nations tended to use German equipment (Leica Contax), both captured and purchased pre-war. The Soviets built up an incredible photography culture after the war, based on captured German equipment and designs. While we in North America were taking snapshots with Kodak Brownies and Instamatics, the masses in the Soviet Union were equipped with millions of excellent Leica and Contax copies. I have a pre-war licensed Soviet Leica copy (FED) and it still takes excellent photographs.

Another ting about the French a/c is that the throttles opened "backward" ie push fore ward to close pull back to open to full.

And the US a/c from before lend-lease, that were actually purchased, like the Finns' Gladiators and B-239's had Finnish writing and measurements on the instruments. Same for French Hawk 75's (throttle and all).

But back to the story, why would they add this part:
The legacy of the Triple 7's had been lost during the Cold War. But in the early 1990's old Soviet archives were opened to release historical documents.
The records proved that many AVG pilots had earned the prestigious Hero
of the Soviet Union medal. But Stalin ordered the Americans' medals to be withheld and should, instead, had then issued to brave communist pilots.
As a gesture of good will, in 2001, Vladimir Putin surprised the newly elected President G.W. Bush with the long forgotten medals. And he then asked the President to please direct them to the surviving pilots of the AVG, or to their widows or grand-children.
Until quite recently, many of the Triple 7 pilots' family members were unaware their fathers or grandfathers had ever been to Russia, let alone fought against the Germans to help them out.

It just seems odd to add...

I am fairly certain that this claim is not legitimate. However, I have read that US Pilots did fly into Russia, generally on a ferry operations, after the entry of the US. They flew LL aircraft from Alaska, into somewhere in central siberia. I suspect, even that there was some form of conversion course going on, being run by the Americans.

The Alaskan route became increasingly important as an air ferry service route asuff, and has a theory to explain the disastrous famines in India in 1943. .

They ferried the aircraft up to Alaska on the North West Staging route at which point Russian ferry pilots took over . Tha Alaska Highway and the Staging route were the second largest project of WW2 after the Manhattan

There's a lot os stuff about the lend-lease aircraft in russia here:

Articles

I also read a story about some young US ferry pilots who were mocking the older russian ferry pilots (mostly ex Aeroflot pilots) in the mess hall of some alaskan air field, maybe it was Fairbanks. Then the old hands took of in their B-25's, turned around and made a low and slow roll in formation, all of them. They were never mocked after that.:lol: I don't know where I got this and I don't know if it's a true story, but it's a good one. You can't beat experience.

Krabat

I have an opinion regarding the number 7's in the original posting about the Triple 7 AVG flying for the Soviets...

The 7th Ferrying Squadron, 7th Ferrying Group of Air Transport Command delivered Lend Lease aircraft from via the Northwest Staging route from Great Falls Montana to Fairbanks Alaska. Russian/Soviet pilots took delivery at Fairbanks and flew the aircraft to Nome, then across the Bering Straits to Siberia and beyond.

The Soviets were absolutely firm about NOT allowing any US or Allied pilots to fly into their territory. The only exception to this was allowing a B-25 and a C-47, both crewed by Soviets, but carrying US personnel to follow the route as far as Moscow in order to determine the suitability of Siberian airfields for the aircraft being ferried.

An unofficial intention by the Americans was to see if any Soviet Far Eastern airfields might be suitable for American bomber to use to attack Japan. Unfortunately for the US, the Russians were not prepared to allow such missions since they were not at war with Japan.

In any case, due to Soviet distrust of western influences, no Lend-Lease aircraft other than those flown by Soviet crews flew further than Nome, and the vast majority no further than Fairbanks. Even during a time when there was a log jam of aircraft deliveries due to a shortage of Russian pilots, the Soviet government firmly declined a US offer to have American pilots take aircraft into Siberia to help expedite things.

So my conclusion (mostly based on the book Warplanes to Alaska by Blake W. Smith, and Googling - 7th Ferrying Squadron, or 7th Ferrying Group) leads me to have strong doubts that any AVG organization flew for the Soviets in WW2.

If they weren't allowing ferry pilots to deliver airplanes to them, it seems highly unlikely Soviet authorities would be terribly welcoming to combat units. (IMHO)

By the way I'd love to connect with folks who have info or photos of anything related to the Northwest Staging Route, or ALSIB (Alaska Siberia) or North West Sector Ferrying Command - all names for the route. Also interested in Alaska Highway and associated airfields information.

*full disclosure: As I mentioned a few days ago on the Basic thread when I signed up at this site (Noob checking in 12/30) I am involved in a project to retrace the Northwest Staging Route and have done a bit of research on the subject of Lend-Lease. Check out our foundation's website Bravo368.org

Cheers
Kerry

The only American pilots that would of been remotely welcomed by the Soviets during WW2 were those who fought in the Spanish Civil War-and the best one of the lot, Frank Tinker put a bullet in his head in 1939.

well there were the shuttle raids of course.

Attachments

• crew_61_b17_russia_ballgunner.jpg
    crew_61_b17_russia_ballgunner.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back